Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I do not own a Rodeo but I hope to soon. As of now I have a small sedan, and I hope to purchase a 01 Isuzu Rodeo LS (i think) its a 4cyl automatic it has 35000 miles and its Black and silver. I posted a similar thread on another forum that i'm in. I was told that these cars are very low quality vehicle and that they wont last past 50k miles. Basically my question is what kind of quality are these cars? I mean what kind of problems can I expect from these cars? Pretty much I want to know what other peoples experiences are with these SUVS.

Thanks,
LMP

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whoever told you they wont last past 50k sounds stupid. The only thing that I can think of that would make someone think that is if they herd someone talking about how the early isuzu's used to have a head cracking and head gasket problem. If you got them a little hot they would blow a gasket or crack a head. That has been fixed for a long time .A rodeo is a great high quality vehicle. The only reason you would have any problem out of one is if you didn't do regular maintinance on it. I don't own one myself but I have driven 3 different rodeos and loved them all. If I could afford one thats what I would have. They are great offroad vehicles and they have tons of aftermarket addons available. What would you use it for if you did get it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think the Isuzus have quality issues. They have maintenance issues. You have to know the vehicle and be able to do some work on it. The four cylinders had timing belt issues. I don't know if that applies to the 2001 models. The 4l30 transmission is without dipstick and you (or you oil change shop) have to know how to properly maintain it. The dealerships are pretty expensive. Also there are engineering issues like making intake manifold gaskets out of plastic. The fuel sending unit is gm made and will fail sooner or later. Also you may get oil burning issues. A lot do some don't (All the difficulties with the car seem to be gm related. Some people get alternator problems but not everybody. I like my rodeo. I just don't like the people who would like to service it.

My advice would be to look for a 6 cylinder standard transmission. Its a heavy truck and you need more power from the engine and tranny. You also avoid range sensor issues, easy fix but why bother. If you don't like learning and working on your car I don't know what to tell you.
The engine compartment is easy to work in. Spark plugs are easy to change. Check out the faq website.

Things I've had to fix

transmission rebuild 900.00 . The drain plug was not tightened properly and it lost enough oil in one trip to cause some problems.

dealer helped subsidize cost regularly costs2700.00 Canadian

Intake manifold gasket from dealership under warranty - free . They told me I should also clean the inside of the manifolds and something else that I cannot remember 250.00 . They torqued the manifold bolts down to 17 ft lbs instead of the revised 14 ft. lbs. So I had to redo the manifold gaskets myself and found the egr pipe almost plugged and the manifolds filthy on the inside. My opinion is that they did not clean anything, took the warranty money and mine also.

Fuel sending unit $0.30 I stripped the fuel tank bolt and had to replace it.
I just took out the fuel pump and bent the contacts back to there proper positon.

I am now having flickering dash lights which signals an alternator problem but I also have squealing on cold starts then goes away which could mean tensioner pulley or idler pulley.
Battery tests fine at 12v cold 14+ running. No codes are thrown and transmission shifts fine and indicates proper position with the dash indicator.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys jsuzu what kind of Rodeo do you have?(yr/eng/etc).

Basicaly I live in Texas about 5 out of 6 vehicles on the roads are Suvs or Trucks. I drive a Hyunda Elantra. The thing is i want atleast 21mpg but i dont want one of does small *** import SUV (if you call them that) like the Hyunda Santa Fe or the Honda CRV This vehicle just looks nice Not to big and not to small. This is more then likely just going to be a mall cruizer. Like i said i live in texas so off road capabilites is nice to have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
50K that's BS, those people must not maintain there trucks at all. I would not be surprised to see a properly maintained Isuzu go well over 200K miles. Isuzus are on par with Hondas but these are trucks so they requite more maintenance.

Now the 4cyl is a rather uncommon engine for the Rodeos mostly they come with the v6. I really haven't heard of my problems with the 2.2L? 4cyl.

With the v6 Rodeos, only a few burn oil but almost every one that does complains about it and if it doesn't then hey have no reason to mention it. People that have alternator problems ar mostly due to going through mud or water crossings were the low placement of the alternator make is vulnerable. There really is nothing wrong with the IMG design but the early higher torque spec broke them often and that's be biggest most common problem.

You just have to remember that if someone has a problem with a car they will tell lots of people about it but if they have no problem they aren't going to talk about it as much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I drive a 2000 Rodeo v6 auto transmission.

Looking back and forward I will never buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission. My last vehicle, a dodge caravan went through 3 transmission rebuilds. Now one rebuild with the Rodeo that could have been totally avoided. Changing a clutch is a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole tranny.

A standard transmission will get more power out of the engine and more control of your fuel economy.

I sloppily spoke of Isuzu's negatives so lets talk about the positives.

1) Outside of replacing the starter motor, this is a very easy to work on vehicle

2) Turning this vehicle into a capable off road vehicle can be done easily and cheaply. Changing to old man emu springs in the back and cranking the front torsion bars will get you 2 to 3 in lift.

3) Low stress engine can haul ***. This vehicle (V6) is set up with low gearing in order to be able to go off roading and towing. I will not win any quarter mile races without a supercharger, but it will last and take a load.
(You must watch your oil levels and oil cleanliness. Filters must be changed regularly and flush must be done on schedule.)

4) Both the Rodeo and Trooper are good looking vehicles (Period)

I am not interested in convincing or disuading you into buying Isuzu. I like it. If they would let the 3.0 turbo diesel into N. America I would be beating people up to get to the front of the line

Once you decide to buy an Isuzu
1)look up the the faq site and make a maintenance plan.
2)Have the dealer or your mechanic do a 30 k maintenance check up before you park it in your driveway
3)Buy a helms or Haynes manual. Someone hear will email you a factory manual for free.
4) Check for the location of your nearest Isuzu dealer. You only want to take it to a dealer if it needs to be towed away. St. Charles Isuzu (St. Louis) will sell and ship any part at affordable prices almost anywhere in the United States and Canada

This should be done with every brand vehicle not just Isuzu. A lot of other brands are set up so you cannot maintain your own vehicle. At least with Isuzu you can do 95 percent of the vehicle repairs yourself.

Again I don't want to feed my ego buy convincing you to buy an Isuzu. If you are going to use it only as a daily driver, the Santa fe has a good rep.
If you are going to tow a boat or trailer, give it a lift and go into the bush, Isuzu is affordable and strong.

Final advice- SUV's and 4 cyl. don't mix. If I saw you writing a cheque for one I would give you a flying drop kick, pound you to the ground tear up your cheque then force you to thank me, then make you buy me dinner.

John

·
Registered
591 Posts
For a daily driver, I personally would avoid the 1998+ rodeo 2.2L. It's the same exact engine used in the daewoo lanos/leganza (small front wheel drive car). The rodeo & daewoo were the only vehicles it was used in. This engine is a valve smasher (interference engine) & is known to spit the timing belt early. Timing belt changeouts are required every 30-40K miles on this engine to avoid costly repairs. FWIU- the idler (or tensioner) is a horrible design and causes the t-belt to pop off. Rodeos are definately of higher quality than similar domestics. Go with the 3.2L if you want a rodeo. The gas mileage difference between the 1998+ 2.2 and 3.2 is negligible anyway.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also read a story about a trooper that put 500 000 kms in the Austrailian outback. So when someone says that they only last 50 000 miles they forgots some zeros. This couple went 500 ks on Rancho 5000 shocks. The Rancho reps found out about it, upgraded there shocks to Rancho 9000 for free and hung the still functional Rancho 5000 shocks on the office wall as a trophy.

I mention this also for two reasons they are reliabe and you will have to change the factory shocks. They only last about 30 000 k before they start felling like your driving a boulder.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of things i think i mentioned before was i like the look of the rodeo. Hmm plastic head gaskets? timing belt problems... dam i guess cheap turbo charger setup is out the question...lol. Fuel economy is important for me because i live in houston i put about 60miles on my car a day just going to school and work.

I'm thinking more of the sport part. I dont know about where you are but customizing SUVs is pretty popular here Both Raising and Lowering suvs is common here. When I decide to MOD this vehicle it would be more for power and acceleration. More then likley i will add lighter larger wheels with high performace tires, cutting weight from the vehicle like adding a glass hood, and sooner or later adding a turbo charger. This probably not the best forum for me. lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
01elantra4dr said:
More then likley i will add lighter larger wheels with high performace tires, cutting weight from the vehicle like adding a glass hood, and sooner or later adding a turbo charger. This probably not the best forum for me. lol
Not true man. We are behind you here. We may not have alot of experts on the above mentioned. But we can definitely give you some good info on performance issues and general tech. It's a breath of fresh air to have Zoo heads from all walks display there pride and joy here no matter what their application may be, without fear of being flamed. 8)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thing is, doing all that to a 2001 rodeo with the 2.2L is like trying to polish a turd! :shock: A 3.2 or 3.5, now that's another animal :twisted: .

Joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JTK said:
For a daily driver, I personally would avoid the 1998+ rodeo 2.2L. It's the same exact engine used in the daewoo lanos/leganza (small front wheel drive car). The rodeo & daewoo were the only vehicles it was used in. This engine is a valve smasher (interference engine) & is known to spit the timing belt early. Timing belt changeouts are required every 30-40K miles on this engine to avoid costly repairs. FWIU- the idler (or tensioner) is a horrible design and causes the t-belt to pop off. Rodeos are definately of higher quality than similar domestics. Go with the 3.2L if you want a rodeo. The gas mileage difference between the 1998+ 2.2 and 3.2 is negligible anyway.

G/luck
Joel
Hmmm... Yea i have a Hyundai elantra which has the Beta II engine if this was a engine off the Deawoo sounds like it could be a Stroked version of the engine i have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
01elantra4dr said:
Hmm plastic head gaskets?
Not head gasket, that would be completely insane, Intake manifold gasket and there is nothing wrong with that, just don't over torque them, but the 2.2 probably has a different setup so you don't have to worry about those.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your concern for the cost of fuel could be offset by the cost of your modifications. I know they make a supercharger for the 3.2/3.5 models that cost around 3000. I don't know if there is a bolt in turbo charger for it. Lifting the vehicle will cost about 700 and thats cheap. You put a fiberglass hood on and then you have to paint it. I spent 700 on larger tires.

Here is another idea for you. Why don't you save some money by buying a first generation rodeo (97 and before) one with the gm 3.1 engine. I think that was also a camero engine. This way you have more options as far as engine, suspension mods and body paint.

All suvs are gas guzzlers. All brands lie about there fuel economy.

John

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
factory manual 2001 ls, email? [email protected] :) i'd really like to get my hands one of these since there's no owners manual.

my 2001 i just picked up is an auto. i absolutely hate auto's, but this one is still pretty peppy and hopefully wont cause any problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.