Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from the forums for a while, Those that recognise my name might remember the insane amount of work I had to do to my '88 Trooper to keep it running, and how when I finally had the engine straightened out, the transmission started jumping out of OD randomly. I still have that trooper, but after the last time it went to the trails (Only thing I used it for) mud got into the transmission (Down the filler tube) and it soon got to the point where it would barely back up, and would only go forward in 3rd gear.

After talking to a few other local trooper drivers, I noticed that I was the only one who had the 2.6. Everyone else has the 2.8 V6, an engine with which I am intimately familiar.

I have found an individual who is selling a 1990 Trooper for $999, and it has the V6 in it. It also has, by george, a transmission that looks suspiciously like a 700R4.

The only big problems I had with my trooper were the engine, and the transmission. The rest of it, I had to put a carrier bearing and some CV shafts in it. And some bushings. Big deal. Much better than two head gaskets, an alternator, a battery, a starter, all eight valves, Various sensors, just to break the transmission.

What parts are interchangeable between the V6 trooper and 4 cylinder? Driveshafts? My nearly new $80 carrier bearing? Brakes? Axles and wheels, obviously, windows, bumpers, headlights, door handles, small stuff like that should be interchangeable.

What big obvious problems are there with the V6/700R4 combo in a trooper? When installed in an S10 the 2.8 is a good dependable engine, and the 700R4 is not only durable but very common. It may be the 4L30E transmission that was in the Trooper, which is still more common than the A340H that was only used for a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
GreenSideUp said:
What parts are interchangeable between the V6 trooper and 4 cylinder? Driveshafts? My nearly new $80 carrier bearing? Brakes? Axles and wheels, obviously, windows, bumpers, headlights, door handles, small stuff like that should be interchangeable.
That I can help you with :D
both use 2 piece drive shafts so I would think drive shafts are interchangeable alto I have not taken any measurements so I could be wrong. all interior and exterior body parts can be exchanged, front axels are the same, wheels are the same, axels are the same, SOME! wiring does change, I I believe the fuel pumps are different, gas tanks are the same tho hmm anything else im missing?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
The trans if it has been swapped out would have an adaptor between the trans and T case. While the 700 R will bolt up the T case will not. I would be willing to be its the 4l30E trans. If the fluid has been changed then it will hold up. You will find a few folks have actually done the 5 speed swap. M 4l30E has 180K on it and its weak now. I have a pumped up 3.1 in my Trooper and feel like I am loosing power in the auto. I am looking at swapping a 5 speed in the future myself. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hessmess said:
The trans if it has been swapped out would have an adaptor between the trans and T case. While the 700 R will bolt up the T case will not. I would be willing to be its the 4l30E trans. If the fluid has been changed then it will hold up. You will find a few folks have actually done the 5 speed swap. M 4l30E has 180K on it and its weak now. I have a pumped up 3.1 in my Trooper and feel like I am loosing power in the auto. I am looking at swapping a 5 speed in the future myself. Just my humble opinion.
You mention an adapter between a 700 and the trooper's transfer case -is the t case a special isuzu unit? It's different from the one that sits behind the A340H. Would that same t-case be found in anything else that has the 2.8? Is the 4L30E a GM transmission?

I know where there is a trooper, minus wheels and with a smashed roof, that has a V6 and 5 speed, all the parts I'd need for a swap are there. I drove the trooper I'm thinking about buying today, and the transmission shifted just fine. None of this having to think between gears like my A340H. It has new 31" tires, power windows of all things, and a leaking valve cover gasket. Looks like the radiator is another interchangeable part between the 2.6 and 2.8. Only thing I really saw wrong was the CEL was on, it gave me code 15. (it's really interesting to be an expert on the very vehicle someone is trying to sell.) Is that the coolant temp sensor, like it is when you get that code on a 2.6? It seemed to run rough when it was cold, like a temp sensor would cause.

Basically, I have to ask the Boss (Aka Wife) if I can get the go-ahead on this trooper. Won't be easy, after our last foray into the world of Trooper, she almost spits if someone says "Isuzu".

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh oh, this just in - Found a 1995 Rodeo for $1200. 4x4 auto. Looks like it has the "snowflake" wheels you guys talk about. Is that the 3.2 Isuzu motor in 1995, or the 3.1 GM?

The trooper I looked at has an out of state rebuilt title, and I'm worried it will be trouble to register it in my name. I'd only buy it if I can get it very cheaply.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
95 has the 3.2! 91 and 92 got the 3.1 :)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Wait and buy a manual. The Aisin behind the 2.6L is WAY better than the 4L30. So if you were not happy with the Aisin, the 4L30 will drive you insane.

I have like 350,000 km on my 5 speed Trooper and I have upgraded the motor and clutch and work the transmission much harder than the old 2.8L ever could and it never misses a beat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
betterthanyou said:
Wait and buy a manual. The Aisin behind the 2.6L is WAY better than the 4L30. So if you were not happy with the Aisin, the 4L30 will drive you insane.

I have like 350,000 km on my 5 speed Trooper and I have upgraded the motor and clutch and work the transmission much harder than the old 2.8L ever could and it never misses a beat.
I'll only be driven crazy by the 4L30 as long as it takes to get a manual put in there. Also, I'm less likely to have a few different shops tell me it will cost over $4000 to rebuild my transmission. The aisin I had, had problems from day one. The engine was such a monumental pile of excrement that I didn't notice for months. The 4L30 in this trooper (Now sitting in my driveway) shifts just fine.

I did get it, for a much lower price, ($400) because of two things. First, when I tried to drive it, it didn't move! Turns out the linkage was loose, but the seller didn't know that. I just said the trans was going out. Second, there is (I'm pretty sure) a bad freeze plug in the back of the engine. It was leaking at first, and when I got it home, the plug burst while sitting in the driveway. Putting more water in the radiator just causes water to pour out of the engine, right at the starter. (Which looks far easier to remove than the 2.6 starter) Looks like I will be pulling the trans, to replace all of the plugs on the back of the block. Any special tips I should know about removing the transmission?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.