Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard would it be to set up a vr6 "lengthwise" to run a rear-drive car? I'm thinking it would be an interesting way to go. thinking of an old car, though, so the whole computer setup would have to be taken from the donor car. weigh in with your thoughts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody wants to touch this one, huh?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Haha..what older car? I threw a FWD engine in an old car so tell me what your doing?

Theres a guy out there that mated one to a T5 trans but he made an adapter to mate the T5 to the VW bell housing..Theres a place called Kennedy that makes adapters for all kinds of cars but not sure if they have anything? And you would need the computer and harness..that could get messy...I guess it all how bad you want that motor and why?...If it a hot rod deal theres a lot of easier choices..

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually was thinking of putting it up against a t5. I don't even have the car yet, so it's just an idea at this point, but I was thinking for space vs. power. and just for the record, the car would be that opel by isuzu that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Well...theres a lot of variables such as cost, the length of the motor and trans..you don't want the shifter behind you..Those Opels are kinda small..You need to get the length of both the motor and trans and determine if your cutting the firewall, inner fender wells, will it all clear stock suspension/steering or do you have to change it out, obviously a custom driveshaft, and what rearend?..the stock rearend I am sure would not hold up for long with any hp going through it..I would look into these things first..I know some motors that you think should fit probably won't without major surgery..There are easier motors to work with thats for sure..I am running a 2.3 Turbo Ford and a T5 in my Rambler wagon..its compact and theres a ton of parts and aftermarket for it not to mention theres a lot of data on them and swaps using them..So, look into the VW but check your measurements because that could stop the whole idea right there if the darn thing won't fit..Like I said theres a lot of variables to think about....

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I had an opel once upon a time and I tried to put a chevy 2.8 v6 into it. I thought it was going to fit because of how narrow it was, but the driver's side exhaust manifold hit the power brake booster. that was probably one of the biggest reasons I lost momentum on the build, I wasn't sure how to deal with that problem. never did much with it after that. just ended up scrapping the car. I wish I never had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts