Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
paulevans76 said:
And pretty much every A/T comes in a 31x10.50 :drunken: including the duratrac. Maybe you meant 33?
DOUHHHH!!!!!!!!! :oops:

YEP!!! I MEANT 33X10.50

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm pro fat. I would think that would get you better traction and you could run less psi in your tire.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Depends, the wider tires distribute weight more which reduces traction, depending on the surface you're driving on. It's not always best to add surface area to your tire's footprint. A lot of guys up here from down south find this out the hard way because they think "the bigger the better" and end up sliding off the road and into a ditch on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'd rather have more surface area for crawlin, but something nice and skinny to dig in on slick hill climbs. 12.50 is a good middle ground width for 33+ tall tires, IMO. I'd love a few sets to play with depending on where I'm going. A q78/16 (35.5x11) or something like that for muddy trails and climbs, and a big fat 36-38 x 14.50 for rocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a recent trend in cycling to go with wider tires due to their reduced rolling resistance. This seems counter-intuitive, but the contact patches [and science-y tests] prove it.

I wonder if the same principles apply to our vehicle tires?

As for me, I prefer the aesthetic of skinnies, but prefer the air-down-ability, terrain-wrap, floatation, rim protection of a slightly wider aspect ratio tire.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well my other ride is a 92 Honda Civic VX. It had 4.5 inch wide tires on it from the factory and we called those "pizza cutters " too. Or u can run the budget skinnies at the drag strip. ( the doughnut spare tires)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sooo with fat tires I can haul fat chicks ??? J/k

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
H22hybridcivic said:
Sooo with fat tires I can haul fat chicks ??? J/k
Well, usually "fat chicks" are still very fluffy and relatively light as in less than a pound. Any other type of "fat chicks" could jog alongside, vastly and eventually improving their overall health, vigor, and longevity! Even with skinny tires, they still would be rated to not only support the vehicle attached to, but the rated passenger weight, unless of course, the very, very morbidly obese. HTH

H22, you were kidding, right? If not, I'm looking for bigger eggs!

Cheers,

GB

·
Registered
25 Posts
I cannot decide on 235/85r16's 10 ply or 265'75r16's 4 ply. Both cost about the same for the Falken Wildpeak at3w, but the 265's weight 3.1 lbs/tire less. Would the weight benefit outweigh the rolling resistance for gas mileage and ride?

Is the off road traction significantly better with the 235's in North Alabama? Dirt trails, rocks, and some mud?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I can't imagine it would be a significant difference either way. If the 265's are a lighter load range, they would probably ride a bit nicer vs the stiffer 235's. May or may not a hindrance off road. How wide are your wheels? Are you going to be carrying a ton of gear?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got 33.5x10 skinnies, I like them. Less rubbing, less mud/road salt/etc flinging on the vehicle body. Only downside is it's a rare size so I only have 4-5 tire options. My vote is the 235/85

41 - 55 of 55 Posts