Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
1 inch = 2.54 centimeters. For eyeballing, just use 2.5 cm to the inch. :mrgreen:

woodsman1st said:
I grew up reading and understanding tire sizes, height, width and tread as 31/10.5/15; I pretty much get an instant mental image of that tire.
Now with the metric sizes it is all gobbeldygook to me, and really doesn't compute in my aged brain.

Is there a chart, or printed comparison somewhere where I could look at the old and the new side by side (kind of); kind of like stating 31/10.5/15 and the metric equivalant right beside it or in another column right beside it?

I find it hard to equate changes like the above as any kind of improvement; to take something so simple to understand, and change it into metric that most Americans dont use on a daily basis really doesn't make sense to me.

Ken

·
Registered
337 Posts
"Pizza Cutters" all the way!! I have 33x10.5/15. They fit great with a shackle lift. Although I have never had "wide" tires, I am convinced that skinny is better. They fit where the fatty's don't and get traction. :) Ultimately it comes down to the type of terrain you wheel on but for the majority, I think skinny would be best. They don't REALLY look "skinny" do they??? They're just skinny in testosterone filled 4x4 world...;)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my wire tires 13.50 on 15x10 is that the Trooper gets wrapped up so fast. Sometimes it's an advantage to be able to pull up over obstacles sooner, or to straddle some obstacles. Tit for Tat though. There are ups and downs to each.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
the wides have a bad affect on the old T\Ds

ive ran
225/75/15P on 7X15
235/75/15LT on 6X15 steel
31/10.50/15LT on 7X15

ive yet to find the ideal tire and i figure i never will.......but ill keep trying.. :mrgreen:

225/75 was nice in city driving staying under 45
the 31s are nice on the road as a DDer helping lower RPMs
the 235/75 are better for towing in some ways "getting moving", others its a negiteve "steady running" rpms are a little higher versus a 31.

its a case of there's no free lunch or, cant have cake and eat it too.

id like 31/9.50 but that size is not made, so i figure 215 or 235/85/16 is about what im looking for
or 33X9.50

you don't realize how much drag a wider tire has, tell you have a low HP engine.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
woodsman1st said:
I grew up reading and understanding tire sizes, height, width and tread as 31/10.5/15; I pretty much get an instant mental image of that tire.
Now with the metric sizes it is all gobbeldygook to me, and really doesn't compute in my aged brain.
Is there a chart, or printed comparison somewhere where I could look at the old and the new side by side (kind of); kind of like stating 31/10.5/15 and the metric equivalant right beside it or in another column right beside it?
I find it hard to equate changes like the above as any kind of improvement; to take something so simple to understand, and change it into metric that most Americans dont use on a daily basis really doesn't make sense to me.
Ken
in the link there's a Converter, P-Metric tire to Tire Diameter inches
http://www.ramblerman.com/blazer/gearcalc.htm

·
Registered
367 Posts
Being in AK I've found that skinny works best for me. I only run BFG TA KOs on the trucks I've had and hardly have issues on ice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What I -like- is the wider tire. Plus, the last time we have -any- snow was about 3 years ago. It must've snowed for 6 hours. No accumulation. None. Ground was too warm.

With that being said, I run 255/70/R15s on my "Suzy" and I like the way they look. Yea.. 15" wheels. 9.5" wide rims. The wheels were on it, when I got it, but it was running 235/55/R15s then. Much lower stance that I liked, so I went to a tire shop, and had them match the O.D. of the original spare as closely as they could.

Yes, apparently, my '95.5 came with 15" wheels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been mulling this over in my head. If I could find the proper rims I could swap the Amigo over to 238/85-16s to match the Dodge (at least on tire size) and hopefully get a little better fuel mileage, but the 31X10.50's work so well, I hate to take the chance of losing the mud and snow capability.

I like the BFG AT-T/A's on it. Probably put them on the Dodge too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
NE,

You could find some 16" snowflakes w/o too much difficulty and mount some 31X10.50X16 on them! Same lightweight type of wheel, tire diameter would be the same so would not negatively alter gas mileage. The center caps are the same for 15" vs 16".

Cheers,

GB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Snowflakes???- OK, never mind, I found another post about them, that's what's on mine.
The 235/85r16's are a touch taller than the 31x10.50's.
And I've already got 2 new 31's on it.
I need to find how to change my info on here.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I still think 1) SOMEONE else needs to make a 31x10.50 besides BFG, (Hint hint Goodyear DURATRAC!!! ) and 2) I so wish they would make a 35X10.50 Radial tire! LOL

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
I still think 1) SOMEONE else needs to make a 31x10.50 besides BFG, (Hint hint Goodyear DURATRAC!!! ) and 2) I so wish they would make a 35X10.50 Radial tire! LOL
Interco Super Swamper SSR - 35x10.50 ;)

And pretty much every A/T comes in a 31x10.50 :drunken: including the duratrac. Maybe you meant 33?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I bet he still meant the 35x10.50.....a size i too would love, and very aware of the swamper.....we wish someone else made a 35x10.5 that didn't cost an arm a leg and a testicle.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
-88- said:
I bet he still meant the 35x10.50.....a size i too would love, and very aware of the swamper.....we wish someone else made a 35x10.5 that didn't cost an arm a leg and a testicle.
Everything costs about that much these days. My brother had a set of those swampers on his trooper - we just got lucky and found someone selling a set used in good shape for a fair price.

If y'all really want one, you should ask the tire companies if they will make one. I'm sure there are lots of dudes in other makes and models who would like a bigger radial pizza cutter option.

You can also always go for the michelin xl's and xzl or xml or whatever they are in a 36x9/16 or 38x11/16, but those are big, heavy *** military tires.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Meh so-so. I mean swamper while a great tire is already a very proud company and they have the 35 & skinny on lock as pretty much the only source.....but compare a more common 35x12 or something....swamper can be beat handily on price 100-150 less a tire, and still a very comparable tire. Not even big sizes...my 265/70/r17's an odd size, but not extinct...nor all that big. I went kelly tsr safari, the ssr would've been close to another 100bux each tire....& at that point for what? Just the name I've loved the tsrs so far, the need some more snow/ice testing but this is tx.....but chocolate pudding mud up to the rockers and able to work her out. Thin soupy mud just digs down to traction, thick clay like mud where your just kinda on vasoline over hard soil she's slipped, but Nothing beyond expectations & still god. Hard rock, loose rock, slick rock, pavement all good. I suspect they'll wear far better then the ssrs on pavement too......i mean only complaint they could self clean a little quicker/better from the thicker/stickier muds. I gotta get a good spin on'em to really clean them out....

don't get me wrong a name means a lot, & i do respect the hell out of most companies with a heritage, but it's gotten absurd how much they think their name is worth. John deere, harley, interco, case (knives)....i mean I love & respect most of them....but 10-50% more then a comparable company/product for just the name?

tangent sorry....back on topic. Your right we're not the only guys out here that would love something in a 35x10.5....Toyatos, nissans, explorers, tons of vehicles would do well.....but all together we're MAYBE 10% of the market....the companies know where out here, but it would seem not worth their time. I still intend to ask around when I get closer, also pondering importing, in the lands of these trucks these sizes are plentiful...military tires are an option, but as you said weight will be a major concern....atleast my current tire needs (2.6) but my next need (3.2) they may be more viable..... and finally it costs an odd wheel size again but 315/70/r17's depending on manufacturer, actual factual measurements tend to be 34.5-35.5 tall, tread widths usually 10-11.5 inches wide, and section widths 11-12.5 inches wide....all manufacturer pending again, but probably the best/closest/most optional rte for getting a 35x11ish tire....

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Specialty tires will typically always bring a premium. I'm sure Interco charges a lot for certain sizes because they make less of them, and in order to cover their costs and make a profit, they have to charge more for the tires themselves. BFG and Goodyear cost more because they have a reputation for high quality, but they are sometimes cheaper in certain sizes because they move a huge volume. Name is part of it though, sure.

Pitbull tires started because off road enthusiasts wanted another option. They might be open to a pizza cutter size in their lineup.

I just remembered that Mickey Thompson used to carry a 34x11.50 and a 35x11.50 in the baja belted tire. I always wanted a set of thosein the 34x11.50 for one of my old IFS troopers, but they are discontinued now. You'd have to find some old stock, and they'd probably be older than 5 years past their DOT date by now. Desert rat has ONE of the old 35's, and everything else on the net looks kinda scammy.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
PS - just happened to glance at the Intero cosmetic blems page (http://www.intercotire.com/news-article.php?article=1) and saw this:

Description: XSSR-40R SSR
Size: 35X10.50R15
Quantity Available:5
Price: $255.00

Still pricey, but about $100 cheaper per tire than from 4wheel parts.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts