Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been readin up on this smog pump removing. I have decided to get rid of it while I have the motor out doing the swap..(2.8 to ht3.4) Can anyone tell me what they did as far as Belt size after the removal and did you remove the whole piece? It looks to me that it has some brackets on the thing that look needed. thanks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I did that when I went from the 2.8 to a 3.1 There are a couple of way to do it. And having A/C will be different also. My suggestion is to go to betterthanyou website and he has a writeup with photo's on what to do. Basically you have to change the tentioner or modify it. Then replace the pully and a different belt. All the parts I needed were at Autozone. The belt is from a Rodeo. Only took a few hours. The tentioner can be either be replaced entirely from a Rodeo, or modify yours.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if you do get a tensioner from a rodeo, it has to be a 90-91 with the 3.1L V6. the new belts are also from the same rodeo.
also, before you remove it, you might want to find out what the consequences are in your state if you do remove the pump. the fines can be pretty stiff.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I did mine with out modifing the tensioner at all. I'll see if I can get the belt #. Mine has a/c btw..

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I believe the part number was 6PK2145, I'll double check tonight...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Was it the same engine? I found without modification th tension was very little or if you got a belt a bit shorter it was a fight to put it on. Plus when you mimic the factory Rodeo setup you don't have to guess at the belt and every parts store will have it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
its a 3.4L using the stock 2.8L accessories. I'll double check the Part number later tonight. It wasnt hard installing the belt and it has plenty of tension.
My buddy worked at autozone and we tried out about 10 different belts one night after my pump seized. hopfuly I'll start my fresh 3.4L tonight for the first time... :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I considered this mod but went ahead and just replaced my pump. However, I was wondering what is done with the electrical connection when removing the pump?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Nothing just leave it. All the ECM does is switch a solenoid when it changes from closed to open loop operation. When in open loop, like first startup or idle, the pump is injecting air into the exhaust because the O2 sensor is being ignored. When in closed loop the solenoid switches and stops pumping air and just free spins.

·
Registered
242 Posts
took the pump and all its little associated parts off my 89, very easy to do. At first I kept the plugs that went into the head and just filled them with JB weld. That didn't work so well, JB weld started to burn out after about 3k miles. So I plugged the holes with a 14 mm 1.25 drain plugs. so far so good. no belt replacement, just eliminated that belt and pull. plug your vacuum lines and you are ready to go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts