Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve cover gasket! Got a leak! Dripping on the turbo... She not happy.

I was already under a time crunch trying to get her brother's Jeep done in time to deliver it on Thanksgiving.
I called the local BMW expert and he wanted $600.. so I guess I'm doing it.

So far it's not that bad, pretty easy stuff, just a LOT of stuff.
I found a decent video on YT to help me keep track of everything.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

I appreciate BMW putting this handy tool tray in front. It's even better than the two tool trays that Jeep puts on either side of their grills.
Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille

It holds a LOT of stuff.
And I'm pretty impressed with the coils on this car. They don't feel like the plastic crap I see in everything else. And they're heavy.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

The video..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is very rare to see a newer BMW at my shop.
Yeah, they all go to the dealer till the warranty runs out. They do everything, all maintenance, while it's under warranty. 50k miles. I'm kinda regretting not forking over the 3grand for another 50k miles. Kinda .. we did get another 30k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes... But I've got a break job and transmission service to do next.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Wow. And I thought the DOHC Subies were bad. Dennis

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going back together with it today.
I started to mention last night that it has been an injury free repair and that was worrying me. Gotta have a little blood sacrifice.

But then the cover bit my finger when I removing the vacuum pump seal.
Now I'm debating whether or not to leave the blood in the cover... But that might impart more power than the car can handle.

The seal did NOT want to come out. And all of my usual tricks like chisel and hammer are a HUGE no-no with a $230 plastic valve cover.
The stress was unbelievable.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Crankset Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Did you replace the valve cover and seal or just the valve cover?

I am a part of a mechanic shop co-op that some buddies have set up. One of the guys is a BMW parts counter guy. There is a dude two doors down that works on a lot of BMW vehicles for a living. They both say it is a valve cover AND seal job. There are also coolant bits you are supposed to preventative maintenance on those things while you are in there. Also...electric water pumps! I haul off all of the scrap from the BMW dealership and I would say I've hauled off more electric water pumps than any other singular part (other than rotors).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts