Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the things that frustrate you about doing 'remote diagnosis' ?

Someone asks for help here. You try to help. While trying, you get frustrated... because....

I'll start.

One of the things that frustrates me, is when you make suggestions, and the person claims they did all that. But it is apparent they didn't. It is usually apparent in either their attitude, or the timeline, that they didn't do what you suggested at all. Sometimes they give themselves away because if they had done what you suggested, then something else they say could not possibly be the case.

A couple of possible reasons...

1. They are convinced that is not the problem, (even though they have NEVER actually done what it takes to found out that that is not the problem...), and simply want some other suggestions.

2. They are just lazy. Or they want a fix in a bottle. Or some kind of occult incantation or some kind of magic trick they can do, to make the problem go away. They never intended to actually DO something themselves. They just wanted you to rattle off a bunch of suggestions until you come to one that they think is easy enough.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
The above and also I will not read a "need help" type thread which doesn't at least touch on the issue in the title.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I worked in an auto parts store for two years. I know exactly what that's like. People would bring in a part and they don't even know what it is but they are convinced they need a new one. People would come in and expect me to know exactly what is wrong with their car and then sell them the part they need to fix it for the cheapest price possible and it has to be a part that is very easy to replace. All of that based on the very detailed diagnostics they have performed. "It won't run. What's wrong with it?"

·
Registered
392 Posts
CatFuzz said:
I worked in an auto parts store for two years. I know exactly what that's like. People would bring in a part and they don't even know what it is but they are convinced they need a new one. People would come in and expect me to know exactly what is wrong with their car and then sell them the part they need to fix it for the cheapest price possible and it has to be a part that is very easy to replace. All of that based on the very detailed diagnostics they have performed. "It won't run. What's wrong with it?"
i work at an auto parts store, and have people calling in asking that exact question. they dont understand that, even though we work at an auto parts store, we are not hardcore mechanics with technician-level knowledge and all the certifications. otherwise we wouldnt be working there :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
best one i had was when i owned my shop.

there was a car that showed up in the morning with a note on it saying "fix it"

ok, that's doable. open the shop.....where the **** are the keys.
go back to the car, doors are locked. and no phone number.

so we think "just f__k it"

2 days later, after we're contemplating getting the car towed and calling the cops, we get a phone call.

"yeah, i dropped my car off, the other day, is it fixed yet?"
"no, you didnt leave keys, you locked the doors, and never left a description of what was wrong."
"ya, i didn't wanna leave the keys incase somebody broke into your shop."
"well we need keys"
"well I'm out of town until thursday." (it's sunday)
"Well then you can pick you're car up at the towing yard.

fast forward to friday, guy comes back with his car.

"I want my car fixed for free because it was towed"
"no"
"ok well then I want my car fixed."
"What's the problem?"
"it wont turn over"
"have you checked the battery? is there oil in the engine?"
"yeah, checked both those things, battery was fine, just did an oil change 2 weeks ago."

so I check out some things, notice he's not getting a charge. turns out his battery was dead.

i wanted to hit him.

his loss though. it was about $250 for towing and storage, and we charged him $100 for labour.

all for a dead battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts