Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s just call it ‘research’ for now and leave it at that, but I have a few rather specific interrelated questions (several of which are going to make it sound like I’m a complete newbie â€" but honestly, as far as the 2nd gen Troopers are concerned, I basically am) --- Anyway, here goes:

The 2nd gens came with -38mm offset wheels, right?

Has anyone ever run a set of Zero offset wheels and 265/75-R16s?

If so, did they rub? / and either way, how much lift do you have?

A 1997 model would have the 3.2 DOHC, right?

On the same vehicle ^ with an automatic transmission, it would have the shift lever-actuated T-case â€" not the push-button variety, right?

And that would be the divorced T-case (removable from the transmission), wouldn’t it?

Also on the same vehicle:

It would have 4.56 gearing, correct?

Aside from a/c, pw, pdl, cc, and tilt… what else came with the LS package that year?

When lifted, a 2nd gen Trooper doesn’t suffer from the ‘upper link/ gas tank clearance problem’, like the 2nd gen Rodeos, does it?

[* and Drum-Roll please… *]

If you found a 1997 Isuzu Trooper LS listed for sale at $2400.00…
What are the first things you’d be checking -or- suspecting might be wrong with it?

TIA!

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yes

I assume you are speaking of running this combo with no lift? If so yes. I know that Chase's truck that he bought from Tad 2 has an extremely offset wheel. Granted it also has been lifted. But the wheel wells on the second gen Troopers are bigger than those of a second gen Rodeo. 285/75/16's fit with minimal work.

Yes

On the same vehicle ^ with an automatic transmission, it would have the shift lever-actuated T-case â€" not the push-button variety, right?

And that would be the divorced T-case (removable from the transmission), wouldn’t it?
Not positive when the Troopers went to the push button 4wd high, but I would expect about the same time as the Rodeo 1998.

It is a removable t-case, not divorced. A divorced case has a drive shaft and U-joints between the tranny and the case.

Yes

Aside from a/c, pw, pdl, cc, and tilt… what else came with the LS package that year?
No idea.

When lifted, a 2nd gen Trooper doesn’t suffer from the ‘upper link/ gas tank clearance problem’, like the 2nd gen Rodeos, does it?
No the gas tank on the troopers is under the cargo area, like yours is right now.

What are the first things you’d be checking -or- suspecting might be wrong with it?
Tranny? Engine? I'd check the big stuff, even if it meant paying a mechanic to perform a few checks or doing them yourself. Like a compression test, a leakdown test. Take it by a tranny shop and ask them to give it the once over.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
E-ZooZoo One said:
Let’s just call it ‘research’ for now and leave it at that, but I have a few rather specific interrelated questions (several of which are going to make it sound like I’m a complete newbie â€" but honestly, as far as the 2nd gen Troopers are concerned, I basically am) --- Anyway, here goes:

I'm not sure, but I could check on our pre-widebody Troopers and my dad's 98 (widebody)

If so, did they rub? / and either way, how much lift do you have?
I'm currently running zero offset 15x7s with 32" tires. That's as close to a 265 as you can come. I get 0 rubbing. I'm sure that they wouldn't rub with no lift too. You can conclude from my statements that 265s on zero offset would be the same... if you dare.

Yup.
Should be, although SOTF was introduced at some point around 1997 so it is best to check.

By definition it isn't divorced, but it is removable. Divorced t-cases have a short driveshaft between the t-case and the transmission. These just bolt on.

Also on the same vehicle:

Yup
MONSTER moonroofs were available only on the LS and higher trim levels. Split rear seats. Better seats (more adjustments). Fog lights. Two tone paint. At some point 4-wheel ABS was offered on low level Troopers, but in 1997 it may have been an LS and higher only option. PDL were found on even base Troopers. I've never seen manual windows on a 2nd gen Trooper, but I haven't heard if that is a standard thing or just my experience. Folding side mirrors was an LS and higher thing. Heated mirrors were available (maybe standard) on non-LSs. Heated Seats.

Nope. The Trooper has a 3-link suspension which means that it has a single upper link which is right over the diff, not one per side like on the Rodeo.

[* and Drum-Roll please… *]

Engine tick/"rod" noise. Might be simple valve clatter or a timing belt tensioner which caused them to sell it. Transmission condition. Rust.
TIA!

Cheers!
Smiley
-Tad

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I guess it’s time to make a telephone call and see if I can find out what’s what on this thing.
(Details to follow)

BTW: I was corrected by DougH on the divorced T-case question as well. (Oooops! :oops: )

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE (with one more Question):

OK… After talking with Teddy the Salesman, it turns out there was an error in the listing â€" It’s a 1995 Trooper, not a 1997.

--- Would this make it a SOHC 3.2?

It’s solid green (Bonus); has 153K miles on the clock (Acceptable, I guess); no sunroof/moonroof (Bummer!); and the asking price of $2400.00 is quite firm, and entirely owing to the presence of the Dreaded Lifter Tick… otherwise, so he claims, it’s in top-notch condition considering its age and mileage.

I’m still on the fence, but I’m leaning in the direction of maybe getting it…

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, warnings, encouragement, etc.?

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I know Mark loves the older pre OBDII Troopers. The 95 being the best IIRC. He tells of the updated dash and what not.

I believe you would have to do some poking around to determine SOHC or DOHC.

Joe

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The "dreaded lifter tick" is exclusive to the SOHC with hydraulic lifters...the DOHC does not use that system. AFAIK the tick is an aesthetic issue, not affecting reliability or longevity...but you might want to confirm that with Jerry Lemond to know for sure :wink:

The SOHC is 170hp, the DOHC is 190hp, if that matters.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i thought the sohc was 175hp? did they change it while i wasn't looking??? :shock:

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
They upped the HP of the SOHC at some point. The early ones (92-95ish) were lower, but they offered an available DOHC at 190hp. That DOHC does in fact have hydraulic lifters, but I haven't heard of people having the lifter tick problem with them.

My dad has a 94 SOHC and I have a 94 DOHC. His is pleanty peppy off the line. Mine may have an advantage on the highway though. They do feel like different engines.

-Tad

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Sorry my info was from 93...I thought it was good for 95 also, but maybe not. The main point is the DOHC has more power than the SOHC...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the 95 and am quite please with it. The engine is the SOHC 3.2. I definitely like the slight changes of the interior of the 95 over earlier models. No problems to report with my trooper except for a couple of bad clutch master cylinders. Definitely give those a good look. I've had 2 crack and leak all of the fluid out. Other than that, no big issues.

Brad

·
Registered
763 Posts
95 was first year of 38mm ofest rims. Its also first year of wide body.

The LS w/ autp may have the DOHC. Check VIN for sure. Stick is a SOHC.

96 was first year for SOTF hubs.

zero offset rims w/ 265/75/16s will be very close to rubbing front mud flaps. 33/10.5/15 came very close w/ 2" tbar lift.

for specs go to ITOG.com. The listing for 95.5 trooper specs is still up.

The SOHC is rated for 175 hp. the DOHC is 190. '96 flipped to DOHC for all. HP stayed same but peak was lower in RPMs.

My first '95 had manual windows and locks. I also drove a 'base '95 w/ no power options.

285s will fit w/ 38mm rims and no lift.

95 is best year. You get very low cost, wide axle, new interior, non-SOTF hubs, ODB-1, dual airbags, r134 refridg, almost guaranteed a LSD, and very serviable engine bay. Down side is that '95 driver side CV is a one year run. Its "wider" than 92.5-94s and is not interchangeable w/ 96+ (2 piece).

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another Update:
(WARNING: this is an official ‘Smiley Post’ â€" as in: go to the bathroom before you start reading!)

I called and talked with Teddy the Salesman again, to pick his brain for every single detail that I could think of, and the answers that he supplied all sounded favorable enough. --- He said that they have a 1998 Trooper as well, and the 1995 is a much nicer looking and better maintained vehicle, inside and out… it belonged to his cousin, who traded it in on a 2001 Grand Cherokee.

According to Teddy [* and mind you, I was using a fresh filter in my Car Salesman BS Detector], the only thing wrong with it is the presence of the tick… It has no noticeable dents, dings, scratches, or rust on it anywhere â€" and [* with my CSBSD still on] it runs perfectly fine. - (From what I gather, apparently the tick has turned-away all of the potential buyers thus far)

So, in an effort to ‘move some tin’, they are “selling it for what they have in itâ€

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

^ I don't see 'G80' on there :(

[edit]

According to this page at ITOG, here’s what the codes mean…

C60 = air conditioner manual control
HC6 = final 41/9
NK3 = steering wheel leather
R93 = LS or sporty package
S1Y = auto locking hub
V05 = heavy duty radiator
YM4 = laminated tinted glass
6KC = battery 80d26r 92-97
6MK = folding electric door mirror w/defroster
6MZ = catalysis control
6WN = AC generator 12V 75A
7AK = AM/FM ETR 3in1 w/cassette 6 speakers
8AA = good quality ethylene glycol antifreeze

It took me a minute, but that second one indicates 4.56 gears.

[/edit]

Doing all of this via multiple telephone calls and e-mails is making me a nervous wreck... I can only imagine what Tad went through when buying the VX from over on the west coast!

Anyway - so far, so good.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
763 Posts

There's a sample pic of a what it woudl klook like w/ OME coils, a SURCO rack and some 285s/

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE:

(2:something AM)

Miss Kathy and I will be departing from Villa de Smiley in about 7-hours to go pick up our ‘new’ Trooper. --- It’s basically a done deal â€" provided that the thing is in reasonably good mechanical/running condition, and can pass the old Seat of the Pants Meter test.

More than likely, the next time that I post, it'll be sitting in our driveway. 8)

wareagle said:
a sample pic of a what it woudl klook like w/ OME coils, a SURCO rack and some 285s/

All in good time my friend… all in good time. :wink:

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Congrats to you & Miss kathy.

Sorry I had nothing usefull to post, But I dont know squat about 2gen anything.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:
(Another lengthy 'Smiley Post')

My parents taught me that if you don’t have something nice to say, then don’t say anything at all… So, based on that guideline, I guess I can tell you that the small dealership that we visited yesterday undoubtedly had one of the nicest and cleanest restrooms that Kathy and I have ever encountered in a business establishment…

Other than that, it looks like I’ll have to beg my parents’ forgiveness in order to relate any of our experiences or observations about Today’s Auto, Inc. in Shawsville, Virginia.

We arrived shortly before noon and immediately went over to the Trooper to have ourselves a nice, close look at it. --- Despite my request for him to give it a brief/ moderate cleaning, Teddy failed to have it cleaned-up at all… The exterior was covered in watermarked road grime, and the interior was still filled almost top to bottom with countless reminders of its former messy owner. --- I honestly wasn’t expecting him to detail it before we arrived, but an effort of some sort would have been appreciated.

While checking the overall condition, I discovered that there was a small dent on the front driver’s side fender, some scratches here and there, and a couple of fitment issues with a few various bits and pieces - but overall, I didn’t see anything that I couldn’t live with… despite the fact that Teddy had said that there were “No dents or scratches on it at allâ€

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck Smiley. Hope you find the trooper (or Veihcross perhaps :twisted: ) of your dreams and budget. Hopefully no more bad dealer runin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.