Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year trooper do you guys/gals think is the best? I mean overall, best looking most reliable, most durable, nicest interior, what ever you think makes it the best.

I'm looking at buying another Trooper and I want some opinions on which model year troopers were the best made.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I personally prefer the second gens(92 and up), though I love the first gens as well...

Some like the classic look... I like the more potent(if only marginally), SOHC v6 better than the 2.8... BUT, the later98 adn up, have the DOHC in both 3.2 adn 3.5(most were 3.5 I believe), which has the option of a supercharger, well, its avail...

My 2 cents
Chase

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'm going to suggest a 98-02 4wd LS (or limited). 3.5l Engine. Cushy. 4-link rear suspension. Wide track. Monster Moonroof. Better dash.

Personally I'd find a 98 LS without TOD. I have a TOD vehicross and a non-tod Trooper, and if I was choosing a Trooper I'd get non-TOD. That's just me though.

If I didn't live in reality, I'd choose a non-tod 3.5L 92-97 Automatic Trooper chassis. That has the older 12-bolt (which 4.77 gears will fit into). Then I'd have an 88 or 89 LS body with power locks. Then I'd add an alpine supercharger and a snorkel. ARB bumper on the front, 33x10.50 SSR tires on 15x7 honeycomb rims.. ARB lockers front and rear. Custom Rear bumper. Rock Sliders. Surco roof rack. While we are dreaming, add some tera-low gears, and some Vehicross Recaro seats.

If I could source parts from overseas, I'd make it a 3.1L turbodiesel instead of the 3.5L gas engine. I'll take the hood with the scoop to go with it. A mustang hood scoop grafts on just perfectly.

Who else is dreaming? What's your ultimate setup?

-Tad

·
Registered
763 Posts
The low mileage '95 trooper Limited is the best ever made. It is wide track, non-SOTF, non-ODBII, dual airbags, new interior, 4.56 gears, standard 10 and 12 bolt diffs, etc. JIts the model with auto, moonroof, adn 190 HP motor. The 98-02 models have some major weaknesses. The 3.5L is awesome, but early models burn oil. Later models have TOD.

Rig it up ARB rack, lockers & bull bar, warn winch, 305/70/16 MTrs, teralow xfr gears, etc.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Just give me my ol 89 shiny red trooper. Gets me anywhere I want to go, as long as I'm not in a big hurry, plus the granddaughter wont ride in anything else. As for me, newer would be nice.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I love my 88 until I'm on the highway with it trying to climb a hill. Or when I'm trying to find an affordable locker for the rear.

Reason I think the older ones are great, I have 205,000+ miles on the four popper. They do have a good flat torque curve, great for around town and four wheeling. The classic box look is awe inspiring.

Yeah I'm planning on making the four cylinder go away and my highway woes will be no more. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
From a purley aesthetic viewpoint, I have to go with the 98+ series of Trooper, which introduced the front facade changes which really gave the Trooper a more sporty look.

The Trooper enjoyed a long 'US-presence', from 1984 to 2002 in many different variations and forms so it's a difficult task choosing the 'best' of all.

Making the choice even more difficult is that ISUZU was constantly changing underpinnings, not just 'improving' them as the years went by.

What would really be cool is to see a picture gallery with good clean examples of each 'variant' with some of the major options offered in each.

From the 'late first gen' variations, I have to go with the '91 LS Troopers with the 2.6 (although I could lean towards the 2.8 since I have one, but the 2.8 isn't ISUZU is it :wink: )

The two-tone paint scheme of the LS with the chrome bumpers and trim really was a great looking combination.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
zutrooper said:
The low mileage '95 trooper Limited is the best ever made. It is wide track, non-SOTF, non-ODBII, dual airbags, new interior, 4.56 gears, standard 10 and 12 bolt diffs, etc. JIts the model with auto, moonroof, adn 190 HP motor. The 98-02 models have some major weaknesses. The 3.5L is awesome, but early models burn oil. Later models have TOD.

Rig it up ARB rack, lockers & bull bar, warn winch, 305/70/16 MTrs, teralow xfr gears, etc.
Why not a 97? Later and it has OBDII so you can get real codes from the computer. I have counting blink codes on the 94.

Non-SOTF I can agree with, but that's really a toss-up for me. It is nice to just push a button for 4wd. 3.5 has more power and no ticking lifters :)

-Tad

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'd go with the last year they were made, 2002. You'll get the *updated* 3.5L engine with the revised piston / ring pack design to cure the oil buring problems some of the 1998+'s had. I dunno if it's possible on the trooper, but I'd try to get one without TOD if you want a 4x4. Less things to break that way.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
763 Posts
I hate ODB-II on relaible engines. They are harder to tinker with. Plus they'll tell the smog patrol your dirty secrets..

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd have to go with the classic 89-91 square body. Lots of room, EASY to work on, 4 cylinder will go anywhere you want for who knows how many miles, fuel injected, computer is easy to work with. Father-in-laws 2000 runs great too, but gets worse gas mileage than my 2.6 with 33's! Square body is easier to make bumpers and guards for, too.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1st Gen Trooper for shure. Then find a way to drop in that 4.3L V6 (Lots of fabrication), lockers, 5.38 gears, tera-low low range gears, and a set of 35's. That's my dream trooper.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cushy. 4-link rear suspension
Huh..my 94 has a 3link rear...

Chase

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
chasespeed said:
Cushy. 4-link rear suspension
Huh..my 94 has a 3link rear...

Chase
Then you are missing one :)

There are the two trailing arms, the one track bar, and the ____ bar that's over top of the differential.

-Tad

·
Registered
823 Posts
Then you are missing one

There are the two trailing arms, the one track bar, and the ____ bar that's over top of the differential.
No, that is a 3 link rear... the panhard(track bar), isnt counted as a link..

Troops, 3 link, Rodeo(98 adn up), 4 link...

(not trying to split hairs here...)

Chase

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like my 1990 Trooper. I can go anywhere. Along w. my GPS system in hand life is pretty nice. Hey, look at Mecedez what is it, a "g" class?? They copied the old Troop!

I'd like a brush guard and I'd prefer a diesel

But I don't even oogle the car lots as we drive by

I just like the the old Troopers.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
iterrill said:
I like my 1990 Trooper. I can go anywhere. Along w. my GPS system in hand life is pretty nice. Hey, look at Mecedez what is it, a "g" class?? They copied the old Troop!

I'd like a brush guard and I'd prefer a diesel

But I don't even oogle the car lots as we drive by

I just like the the old Troopers.
Yup.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Of all the Troopers that I've ever seen, this solid-axle-swapped 2-door RS from Chile is still my favorite…

http://www.twistedandes.com/imagenes/******/DSC00039.JPG

http://www.twistedandes.com/imagenes/******/DSC00040.JPG

More Photos: (1) -- (2) -- (3)

And here it is again after a little top-chopping & custom metal work…

More Photos: (1) -- (2) -- (3)

The owner's Index of Images at TwistedAndes.com
^^^ Worth a look! 8)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
one of my friends has a 99 trooper and i like his. i just think they look better, except for that ugly hardshell spare cover. never went with him off road, frankly i was scared to, knowing him. but for off road, i would say a 87 trooper. my dads friend has one and has taken it just about everywhere he can. after 275000 miles, it is still hitting the trail full speed.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Troops, 3 link, Rodeo(98 adn up), 4 link...
FWIW (not much) I have seen the Trooper referred to as a "5-link" suspension...they are counting the shocks. Makes some sense, as the shocks are the limiting factor for downtravel...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.