Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always wanted to mount my high lift to the back of my spare - but i am not a welder and struggled to figure out a way to make one out of pieces.

I also needed to be able to take it all off reasonably easily when i got back to the city (aka reality)

then it came to me and i ran to the hardware store, and for 15 bucks I made one

went to hardware store and bought this bunch of goodies:

(i made that big so you can see the scale - I ain't giving a list here folks)

looked at my spare and took off the bottom bolt holding the spare on

took the flat piece of steel and drilled two holes 5 1/2 " apart at the centers (they are where the drill bits are) holes are about 1/2" wide

next i drilled a hole on the spare holder (tire still on) through the top hole on the rim (about 1/2" wide)

next I fed the long bolts with washers from the inside of the holder (you must squeeze your hand back there thinking it is stuck forever)

from there ,slide two of the long nuts over each bolt (each nut is 1 1/2" long = 3" spacing)
the steel piece should slide right over the bolt ends and you screw the nut tight to hold everything together

from there, you just use the two smaller bolts and nuts to hold your high lift jack to the mount and tighten the hell out of everything:

VOILA! A no welding, high lift jack mount that seems to be really strong, and looks good too!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Not bad....not bad at all. :wink:

Good job.

Jim

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think also in lieu of spacers you could just cut some steel tubing if you have it lying around.

anybody have a way i could make it less stealable? so i don't have to worry about some guy with a wrench?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I really like your idea. At the present, mine is fastened to tie-down hooks on the floor just inside the back door. I have been trying to find a way to do what you did. Hopefully someone will have ideas about locking it.

Gary

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If you can use a thicker bolt (say a 1/2" or so) you could drill a hole in it and put a small padlock through the bolt. In other words same method of locking you have on the first gen Troopers and Rodeos for your spare tire.

You'd just need a way to hold the bolt good while you hit it with a center tap and drilled it.

A buddy with a drill press would come in handy there.

Joe

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Good catch. I didn't even look to see if he had rockbars or a trailer hitch.

I'd like to know as well, where would you lift from?

Joe

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
truth be told, the only use it has had on my truck since i got it was as a hand winch about a month ago when i decided to be an idiot and drive around in the woods by myself. Never again, brother is it functional but really hard work!

the true reason i have it is because one of my current projects (when i don't get distracted by others) is a set of rock sliders.

I have the steel for it, just needs to be cut and welded. Once those are on i will be able to use the jack on the rig to lift it. My sliders are going to be 2x3 so the jack fits like a glove.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I collected all the chains to use my hilift as a winch but my father gave them away, lol,
I should know better than to store stuff at his place. Last year he gave away the battery from my other truck when I pulled it for the winter.

Be careful even with your rockrails, those suckers kick out faster than you can imagine.
Almost lost the rear glass out of the old man's YJ that way

·
Registered
447 Posts
You can always buy the Lift Mate for the high-lift Jack:

It lets you lift a tire enough to place rocks underneath to get you going again.

With the suspension lift that out trucks have, it’s easier to lift the tire and then place rocks underneath. Otherwise you would have to raise the body until the suspension reaches its limit and starts to raise the tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.