Isuzu SUV Forum banner

TEMP GAUGE sending unit replacement?

779 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  FNFAL308 
#1 ·
I noted on another thread a discussion on changing the Coolant Sending unit and the Temp Gauge sending unit..
Not wanting to hijack that thread I figured I should post my own inquiry..

I touched on this a few months ago on another thread RE:My Sons Rodeo but at that time the tread was getting kinda long and unfortunately I didn't get enough info to clearly understand the repair/replacement of that part..

Did find this link posted by another member:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=15158

My Q is this, is the Temp Gauge Sender the "SINGLE" Wire sending unit to the LEFT of the Coolant Sender (Circled in RED in that links PIC)?

Also I see the link is based on a Tropper instead of the 3.2 V6 in the 95 Rodeo..
As such is the replacement procedure the same on the RODEO and is there anything specifically diff in doing this if the vehicle is 2WD as opposed to 4WD?

TIA, MIKE

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this for the '01? When I did mine I could only find one.
The one on to the left of the lower intake hose to engine pipe.
When I had my intake and valve covers off, I never saw another sensor either.
Unless its hiding on the back near the firewall somewhere?

#3 ·
No this is for my Sons 95, heck I'm not even sure the 01 has the sending units in the same place? I sure hope not though..

If ya hit that link ther is a PIC of what I believe to be the Gauge sending unit just to the L/ of the Sender circled in RED..

#4 ·
Ah, gotcha. I cant say as I am not familiar with the earlier engines.
But generally, they are the same beast, and 2WD vs 4WD doesnt matter much.
Except 2WD is a whole lot easier to work on since its easier to access stuff, and less stuff to mess with.
Engine parts are pretty much the same. Alot of parts are interchangeable.

Someone that has done this before will probably chime in.
I know there was a thread on that a few months ago, but im having trouble finding it.

The '01 has a coolant temp sensor, fortunately its up front and easy to access.
Im not sure if it also works the temp guage in the instrument panel?

#5 ·
Cool, I hope your right and someone does chime in.. Assuming it's much like the TROOPER repair it doesn't sound all that bad, just takes a little time..

Yea I figure the 2WD should be easier to do this with.. I'm thinking removing the Trans cross member should be easy and a floor jack on the Trans tail should allow the engine to tip forward until the Trans tail is touching (almost) touching the underside of the Trans hump.. D/Shaft "should" flex on the U-Joints I reckon...

Ya know it may be a very good idea to remove the gauges and make sure the wire is plugged in back there before I do anything... Is the Gauge cluster easy to get out?

#8 ·
FNFAL308 said:
Cool, I hope your right and someone does chime in.. Assuming it's much like the TROOPER repair it doesn't sound all that bad, just takes a little time..

Yea I figure the 2WD should be easier to do this with.. I'm thinking removing the Trans cross member should be easy and a floor jack on the Trans tail should allow the engine to tip forward until the Trans tail is touching (almost) touching the underside of the Trans hump.. D/Shaft "should" flex on the U-Joints I reckon...

Ya know it may be a very good idea to remove the gauges and make sure the wire is plugged in back there before I do anything... Is the Gauge cluster easy to get out?
Yep, that's exactly how you replace it, and the layout is the same as what you see in the picture. I've done it on my Trooper and it was quite easy. The biggest pain is getting the skid plates out of the way and bolting them back up when you're done.

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up, after looking things over it doesn't seem to bad a job.. Having never done one before in such a tough location I really wanted to make sure I wasn't in for any big surprises..

His truck is only 2WD and it doesn't appear there is much in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.