Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm considering a relo to the Abingdon area and think a fair number of people from the board are from around there. Give me some info if you get a chance.

TIA

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Just depends on what size area you are from originally. It's fairly small but you are not far from Bristol which is a decent sized place.

That and you'd be about an hour from me and Smiley.

Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds perfect. From a small town of 162 originally. 8000 is like metropolis. Currently living in NWArkansas, near OK and MO. Not much on cold, snow and ice. We get bit here now. Looks like Abindgon might get a bit more. Looks close to Uhwarrie and lots of history.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
You will be only about an hour from Doug (Bansil) as well.

Yes you will get more snow and ice than Arkansas, but it's about the perfect weather in my opinion. In the winter it's cold and it snows like it's supposed to, in the summer it's hot and spring and fall are both unbelieveably bueatiful.

If you've never lived in or near the mountians it's a bit different than flat land, but you'll like it. If the job is worth anything take it.

Climate
Normal High Temperature, January 44.5°F
Normal Low Temperature, January 25.5°F
Normal High Temperature, July 85.5°F
Normal Low Temperature, July 64.3°F
Annual Precipitation 41.4"
Annual Average Snowfall 16.2"
Elevation 1,615 '

Total population in MSA 536,047 (this is the population of Bristol TN and Bristol VA)

Bristol is only 16 miles from Abingdon. So if you like Nascar you have that to look forward to.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
If I'm not careful, this might start to sound like I actually work for the Abingdon Chamber of Commerce… (coincidentally, my mother was once the Assistant Director).

Abingdon is one of my favorite places to visit, especially in the summer during the Highlands Festival… Practically the whole town becomes a giant two-week-long craft and antiques event. --- The fact is, I wouldn't mind living there again myself.

As your own research has likely shown, Abingdon is rich with historical and cultural points of interest, not to mention a few VERY good restaurants! - My personal favorite being a little place on Main Street called The Tavern - housed within the oldest building in the region; as I recall, dating back to the early 1700s… It's a bit pricy, but the Shrimp-Stuffed Filet Mignon is without-a-doubt the single best meal I've ever eaten!

If you have children, I can tell you that the school system in Abingdon is apparently a very good one (or at least it was a couple of decades ago)… I never went there myself, but several of my friends did - and collectively they were unquestionably the brightest and most well-read group of teenagers that I've ever known, before or since.

Assuming that you do move there, if you ever run into any computer problems, or find yourself in need of a new one - I can highly recommend a place called Computer Upgrades Unlimited… The owner, Bob, is an extremely knowledgeable fellow (Read as: a certifiable Computer Genius --- About 2-weeks after he started collage, he was actually asked to teach the Computer Science classes!) --- Just don't be fooled by the lack of square footage… Despite the fact that his store is about the size of a walk-in closet, you will not find a better place within at least a two-hour drive. (I sure as heck didn't… So guess where my computer came from 8) )

Obviously I could keep this up for a while, so I'll spare you from having to read one of my infamous novel-like posts. --- Suffice it to say that Abingdon is a pretty nice place… You'll probably like it very much. --- And like Joe pointed out, you'll be within roughly an hour's drive of at least three different Off-Road Isuzu Fanatics! :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.