Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do theirs on their own? I did mine for the first time this week. I thought it was about time I learned since I'm 21 now. Anyways in years past my father has claimed me as a dependent. I don't live with him but as part of my parents divorce agreement my mom allowed him to claim me. I received the help of a family friend to verify everything was correct, and she said since I was 21 my dad shouldn't be able to claim me as a dependent anymore, as I am not living under his roof, and he is not paying child support anymore.

I talked with my dad about it before I finished my return and he didn't seem to object to me claiming myself. So I did just that, seeing as I would receive a substantial amount more than I would have if he had claimed me, since I'm a full time student paying for my own schooling with no helps from grants or loans. Now he is incredibly pissed off at me, saying I've costed him thousands of dollars. He says that he would have been able to claim me until I was 26. I don't have a clue as to what arrangements him and my mom made when they divorced, and sadly neither does she :x . Which is correct?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
From what details you gave, I don't think your dad can claim you as a dependent anymore. Mainly because there are 4 qualifications that must be met to claim somebody. Relationship, residence, age, and support. The relationship and age are within the requirements from the info your provided (I thought the age limit was 24 though, not 26 like your father said) but the residence and support requirements aren't met for him to claim you. You would have to live with your dad for over half of the year (minimum 6 months) out of the year to qualify, and lastly your dad would have to provide more than half of your financial support during the year.

I agree though, you did the right thing to claim yourself. Enjoy the extra money. :wink:

·
Registered
556 Posts
You did the right thing if you asked and he said it was fine. You cover your own expenses so you get your taxes. If he was paying for your residence and school then that would be a different situation. His agreement with your mom on claiming you went out the window once you started working and paying your own way.

·
Registered
608 Posts
claim or not claim.. that is the question.
This is also why I buy tax software. I can quickly check what the returns would be under both circumstances.

As I have ran into this type of situation before...
The real questions are:
* which way will produce the largest total amount returned?
* Is he willing to split it appropriately? (this one usually turns out to be 'NO')

Now days, the roles are reversed. Every year, I get to ask "Can I claim my mother as a dependent?".
so far.. no.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. My dad does help out more than I gave him credit for in my first post. But I definitely wouldn't say it was over half of my expenses. This extra money is mainly because I qualified for the American Opportunity Credit. I'm transferring to a university next year and I need all the money I can get. Honestly, at the rate I had been going, I don't know how I would have even been able to afford it. Hopefully my dad will chill out and understand that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wish I got returns! I have to pay taxes!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My wife does ours. Oddly, it's something she enjoys doing..........She filed as soon as we got our W2s in, it's already been direct deposited. Best tip I can give, get it in early!

Makes me mad to see what our gross income was vs what our net income actually is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts