Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my set of tax blues, I just got bit again (not the Fed's fault, but still unnerving).

I picked up a second job for 4 months (Feb-June). Basically, all income from this job puts me in the next tax bracket, and should be taxed at 25%. So, i tried to estimate how much I should have withheld each check to put me at 25% (roughly 60 bucks). I went to pick up my last check this Tuesday...my ****-head employers shorted me a day. Result? A check for $0.00 (all went away to laundry fees and taxes). So what do I have to look forward to? A check for the day the missed that will amount to $0.00.

I suppose that I will have an additional $120 (plus whatever extra I had them take out that I didn't need to) at the end of the year. But, I needed some of that money now :(

Why can't they allow you to set your own federal rate (by percentages) if you are an hourly employee? I can't be the only one to be bitten by this. Why does it have to be a specific dollar amount???

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The tax system is beyond FUBAR. There is no reason in the world why you should be able to pay your taxes through withholding and end up owing nothing at the end of the year. What they need to do is abolish withholding and make you write your own check to pay your taxes monthly. They don't want that because people would WAKE THE HELL UP and there would be a bloody revolution.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
CatFuzz said:
The tax system is beyond FUBAR. There is no reason in the world why you should be able to pay your taxes through withholding and end up owing nothing at the end of the year. What they need to do is abolish withholding and make you write your own check to pay your taxes monthly. They don't want that because people would WAKE THE HELL UP and there would be a bloody revolution.
Key word... Bloody

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I don't understand why I hear about so many tax problems in the US. Do employers deduct your tax from each pay check? That's the way I've always been paid, and every year I've been employed and file my taxes I get a decent refund, because the employers always round up. It always boggled my mind as to why people wouldn't file their taxes...

Oh, and sorry to hear about your bad luck. In Canada an employer can't deduct pay for cleaning a uniform. Actually they have to provide you with a uniform for free (if one is required) and pay YOU money monthly to have it cleaned. Which reminds me, I've got some pants at the dry cleaners.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is the first kitchen I have been in that applies a laundry fee. In a way, I like the idea: it keeps people from really wasting towls!!!

I shouldn't complain. It was a second job, and the point was to save money. They basically forced me into saving way more than I intended.

It is a bit unnerving that the money sits in the US Treasury until next April, though. We want to buy a house this year! I would at least like to know how much I have waiting for me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The tax system is totally messed up in the US. Your employer is required by law to withhold a set amount based on your wages and claimed dependents. That amount is usually far too much for the actual taxes you end up owing. When you file at the end of the year the gov refunds you extra money back to you.

Now some folks think they are loaning the gov money without interest for the year, but when you look at all the possible deductions you can claim you actually end up getting back more than you paid in. This doesn't work out for the singles, but for those with a wife and kids is works pretty well.

A far better system would be to do away with the income tax system. Put a 2% federal sales tax on everything that anyone buys including food. This way everybody pays the tax, there are no loopholes, there is total equality, and the gov actually makes more money.

You buy a used car for 5 grand, at 2% you pay $100 in federal sales tax.
The rich guy across town buys a new Jag for 130 grand, at 2% he pays $2600 in federal tax. There are no "special" tax shelters...

Its called the flat tax. This system makes everyone equal because everyone pays the same % in tax, gives the feds more money, however, it will never happen because all the rich folks would lobby against it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
johnnie59 said:
A far better system would be to do away with the income tax system. Put a 2% federal sales tax on everything that anyone buys including food. This way everybody pays the tax, there are no loopholes, there is total equality, and the gov actually makes more money.

You buy a used car for 5 grand, at 2% you pay $100 in federal sales tax.
The rich guy across town buys a new Jag for 130 grand, at 2% he pays $2600 in federal tax. There are no "special" tax shelters...

Its called the flat tax. This system makes everyone equal because everyone pays the same % in tax, gives the feds more money, however, it will never happen because all the rich folks would lobby against it.
I whole heartedly agree with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.