Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this needs to be said from time to time on here. Any time you are doing a MODIFICATION to your truck that is not stock. The deal is on YOU!!!!!!!! Anything that is not stock from a different kind of air cleaner to a straight axle swap is an untested modification. It should be treated as such. Often myself and many others show people things we have changed or different non stock parts we have used on our trucks. Normally these mods have worked well for us. But inevitably someone will use "My" mod in a slightly different situation than I used it for. The results may not be the same. I try to be as inclusive in my warnings and notes as possible but can't think of or remember everything about something I did years before. It is ultimately up to the person who borrowed my idea to make sure the mod they are doing works well and is SAFE both for themselves and others on the road with them.

We seem to have a pretty good flow of newbs these days and that is a wonderful thing. It keeps the forum and ideas fresh. But it also means there are a lot of things going on and a lot of different trucks on the forum. I surely can't keep up with them all. It also means that the same questions get asked over and over. No problem with that. But folks like me tend to give shorter answers the 10th or 20th time we've answered a question. Things we cautioned about the 1st 3 times can get left out of the response. Also sometimes the questions are brief and don't explain why the question was asked. No one can read minds here. I'm not picking on anyone but will give a generic example That's similar to a recent thread. Just one of many that made me think of this. Say a member sees a thread about sway bars. So he posts a thread or a post in that thread asking for a recommended bar. OK I might assume that this person just wants to make his 1st gen Trooper handle better. Sway bars are great for that. But sometimes what the poster really needs is new ball joints or control arm bushings because they are worn. This makes their truck wander on the road. They might be new to these trucks and wrenching in general and not even realize they have a maintenance issue. That issue needs to be resolved before any performance enhancements are added. The folks here are great about pointing out such possibilities. But if the OP didn't say my truck wanders and that they need help then no one knows to point him in the right direction. So he buys a new sway bar and is less than impressed with the results. Now his truck wanders much flatter in the turns LOL!
Just showing how things can get confused. Bottom line is IT'S YOUR TRUCK YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO IT. So always bear this in mind! We all do our best to help but the internet can be a very imprecise tool. I don't have my eyes and hands on your equipment. Better to explain too much and ask lots of questions.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
VERY WELL SAID 'BRO.!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
It also means that the same questions get asked over and over. No problem with that. But folks like me tend to give shorter answers the 10th or 20th time we've answered a question
I try to fight this tendency, but it does happen...

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
There are way too many people (not just here) that will read one thread about an issue they are having and assume the solution is 100% the answer for every instance. IMO: If someone isn't smart enough to ask the right questions and give the proper information for their issue.... they deserve the consequences. I don't handle stupidity very well though. AND there is a difference between stupid and ignorant!!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Very well said, Squatch....trying to *thank you*, but appearantly the forum is smarter then I am....can't figure it out

·
Registered
227 Posts
The danger is though that even the most knowledgeable make mistakes when diagnosing a problem too. I had a car that since I bought it had an odd shuttering issue in first gear. Normal diagnosis would be motor mount, bad clutch/flywheel, etc. Turned out it was a flaky fuel injector that showed no other obvious symptoms and didn't throw a code. It just would not function properly at low-mid RPMs when the engine needed power. Never happened in other gears and it was totally random.

The lesson to learn is that eve if you have eyes, ears, and hands on a problem sometimes the solution can be quite unusual. If you are deprived of one or more of those senses then the solution becomes even harder....especially when you can't see the big picture.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
squatch said:
I think this needs to be said from time to time on here. I have my eyes and hands on your equipment.
Fixed it for you :thefinger:
....serious note, I know what you mean....explain something and then people argue with your answer...then it turns out what they thought was "X" was actually "Y"...and you were right...that does piss me off from time to time

I normally dissapear for a week or so,that way I forget about the post and start over :wink:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ramzoom said:
So where do I install the grains of salt?
Here in MD the DOT does a fine job of that for us everytime it even looks like snow! :evil:

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It takes a great deal of patience to help some people that are very new to wrenching. Having young children gives me a practical approach most of the time. And a level of patience to cope with some of the less viable repetitive questions. I look at it this way, I hope I help.
But when you say bubble gum and they say paper !!! I feel like finding a brick wall lol... Also taking into consideration some of us haven't been on here pody training as long as long as others have it's somewhat easier to deal with the retoricle questions.
There needs to be a sticky left up top, suggesting about worn parts prior to modifications/lifts etc.
Call it a suggested read before asking/inquiring.... It would/could explain some basics and give people an approach for there problem.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very wise council! Especially for guys like me who are new to forums and have a LOT of questions. I read a lot of threads and sometimes cant find the exact answer Im looking for and you guys are extremely patient with me and helpful. However, I think this thread should be manditory to read before becoming a member :D There is a whole edicate to forum posting and it taking me time to learn. For example: theres probably an unspoken rule about post new threads every day or every hour. But you guys are patient with me anyway. Thanks for this bit of info. its all helpful in learning!!!! :idea:

Jon

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont understand?!?!

:D

I have thought that most questions I have should have already been discussed countless times. However, the "search" doesnt seem to either pull much that is relevant.... maybe if somebody got bored and made a few "faqs" for some of the more beaten down questions...... :albino:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
werewolfv2 said:
I dont understand?!?!

I have thought that most questions I have should have already been discussed countless times. However, the "search" doesnt seem to either pull much that is relevant.... maybe if somebody got bored and made a few "faqs" for some of the more beaten down questions...... :albino:
Use this to search with...

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=ps ... isuzoo.com

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jeff,
Sorry for being computer illiterate, but what do I do after I go to that link? Type in what I'm searching for after it? I've tried and it doesn't seem to work. I've read "punctuation" is critical. Thanks for your help and patience.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gruff54 said:
Jeff,
Sorry for being computer illiterate, but what do I do after I go to that link? Type in what I'm searching for after it? I've tried and it doesn't seem to work. I've read "punctuation" is critical. Thanks for your help and patience.
Yup. Puntuation is critical. LOL

First button you want to press is the space bar. Otherwise whatever you type gets run into what is already there in the search bar. (And you don't clear the search bar first. Otherwise, you might as well just go straight to google. What is in the search bar, when you follow that link, causes the google search to be run ONLY on planet isuzoo. If you clear it, then it is just like any other google search.)

Then type in whatever it is that you are searching for.

Try to 'boil it down' into as few words as possible. But if that doesn't work, then just write out exactly what you are thinking.

Then there's the usual terms. If you want all the words, together just as you type them, then put the double quotes before and after. " "

I believe google has help available as well, about how to search.

Reactions: gruff54

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant for this thread to be more than just a disclaimer but didn't want to get too long winded in the initial post. Maybe I should have said more the 1st time. Yes there is disclaimer there but I also want to encourage folks to dig deeper than just 1 or 2 quick answers to a question. That's my big point. Do your homework. Double check the work you do. As I've told my son many times when he was in school: Read what was written not what you think was said. We are all guilty of this myself included. Scanning rather than really reading.

Not trying to discourage anyone just the opposite really. But I do want you to use your brain. That's the most important tool you have. When I do a project I always do lot's of what I call playing "Vroom vroom"! I sit in the drivers seat and pretend I'm driving. Can I reach what I need to without looking for it? Is it a natural place for that item and a natural motion to use it. Do I have to look away from driving when I use something? If I have an accident will my face or other body part get messed up hitting whatever I installed? I also sit and look at my trucks a lot. Just visualizing what I want to do. Figuring out mount positions, color match, Things like that. Does it fit my overall scheme. Will I really use that item or is it just for show?

Ask yourself why you are doing a specific mod. What are you really trying to accomplish when you change things? What else needs to be done? Modifications tend to be snowballs rolling down a hill. Bigger tires need a lift, stiffer springs need bigger shocks, You also need more braking to stop bigger tires. Lower gearing to compensate for tire diameter and weight. It will probably put more stress on steering components if you are wheeling. Things will need to be checked more often. Bolts work loose when you wheel. Did you consider what changes to the truck will do to your fuel economy? All these things matter. Look at the big picture before you leap with the mods. Then when you do post lot's of pics so we can see them! :D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jeff,
Thanks for the tip. I just used it to figure out how to "Thank" you.
Mike

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gruff54 said:
Jeff,
Thanks for the tip. I just used it to figure out how to "Thank" you.
Mike
You are welcome.

Glad I could help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts