Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the tail light assempbly on an 89 Trooper? The lense is held in by 6 screws but I do not see how to remove the assembly behind it that holds the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
After you take the 6 screws out. The lens should pop off, all that holds it after that is the gasket :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to risk breaking anything if is wasn't. The assembly looks to be really stuck on. I guess the trick is to use a bit of lube and go slowly. The gasket is quite old.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still can't get the assembly out. It looks like it is being held in place by some sort of rectangular-shaped (1/8" x 1/4") gold colored fasteners. ANy idea how to get them out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want to remove the tail light lens to replace the bulbs, remove the screws from the lens like stated above. If you want to remove the tail light assembly, you have to do it from inside the rear quarter panel.

I took the passenger side tail light assembly out of my '90 Trooper by (carefully) popping the interior panel (you don't want to break the clips or the panel). Once the panel was out of the way, I could reach in with a socket wrench (w/ extender) and unbolt the assembly. I imaging the driver side works the same way, but the rear window washer resevoir may also be in the way and need to move out of the way first...

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I thought that something must be holding the assembly in place.

I am trying to get the assembly out to get at the lighting wires so that I can hook up a trailer connector. The first gen Troopers do not have a plug for this and I was told that the best place to make the connections was behind the assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.