Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question guys....After reading this article can I simply cut the blue wire to disengage TOD and have the 50/50 power split?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You can cut that wire and connect it to 12V positive.

In my Vehicross, I installed two switches. One turns TOD on/off, and one turns 4-high on/off. That way I can use 2wd (which you have), TOD, or a 50/50 switch. The mod in the article is setup that way so that it doesn't turn on the check tod light.

If you just cut that wire, you'll have 2wd.

-Tad

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tad is right, you have to give it 12 volts to get the 50/50.

I followed the article, it was not very complicated once you grasped the concept. All the parts were available at the local radio shack. The good thing about the article is it lists all the part numbers.

It beats getting errors on your TOD!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any suggestions on where to get that power> My immediate thought is the cigarette lighter, but to be honest my electrical knowledge and skills may leave something to be desired.
thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I used the cig lighter power for mine. I would be sure that you connect 12V to the transfer-case end of the blue wire, not the computer end of the blue wire, as you may damage the TOD computer.

-Tad

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used the cigarette lighter current as well. It's not too complicated, there are two wires going to the lighter one will be the ground and the one attached to the middle of the lighter is the 12-volt. You can use a multimeter or a simple light tester to double check. Make sure you have your key on to check for current.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys,

When you shut off the TOD this way, does it completely disengage the front drive shaft? Or does it still get that ~15% power?

My front diff is a little noisy so I'd like to cut power to it for everyday driving and save the front diff for off-road...

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
phines said:
Hey guys,

When you shut off the TOD this way, does it completely disengage the front drive shaft? Or does it still get that ~15% power?

My front diff is a little noisy so I'd like to cut power to it for everyday driving and save the front diff for off-road...
It's perfect for you. It will shut off the 15% to the front in a VX. Then add some manual hubs and the axle won't spin at all. Even with just the disconnect you'll loose that noise. Search on vx.info I posted pics of my TOD disconnect and 50/50 mod in my VX there.

-Tad

·
Registered
31 Posts
As always... You're the man Tad! Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts