Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer says I need new speed sensors to get 4 wheel drive working again. Right now when I engage 4x4 button check light comes on and auto light blinks. If I shift into 4lo the front tires on the TOD indicator do turn green but I haven't been able to see if the front tires are actually getting power. To me it sounds like there is nothing engaging when I press the 4x4 button. Should I be hearing a click or something? Maybe if I'm under the vehicle (safely of course) and have someone press the button? Dealer says the switch on the axle is waiting for a signal from the speed sensor? Sounds like baloney to me? Speed sensors are $390 each!
BTW i have a 99 Trooper.

the mod I am referring to is at the bottom of the TOD mod write up in articles by Tad I think...

thanks all! great forum here!!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You might just have a dirty 4wd actuator in the front axle. Look at the full list of articles on the main website. Sam detailed taking one apart and cleaning it. If 4-low is actually working, then this isn't your problem and you probably do have a problem with the TOD system. I'm not sure that you'll hear anything though. I'd also check the connectors near the transfer case. Unplug them and reconnect. Some users have reported some moisture and/or corrosion in them if they get loose.

-Tad

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same model and the same problem, while repacking the bearings I found that the ABS ring on the driver side was broken. I had it fixed and thought that was the reason for my TOD malfunction .... it was not.
I am very curious to find out about the resolution to your problem! .... which is another way of saying "I feel your Pain"

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The TOD speed sensors are located in the transfer case itself. The 4 ABS sensors are completely separate. There are really 3 speed sensors there. One for the speedometer system, and two for TOD (one for each driveshaft).

You can call up all hyundae Isuzu recycling for used speed sensors, St. Charles for used speed sensors, or just follow the article to create a 4wd system, thus bypassing TOD alltogether.

You might have to remove the front axle actuator, engage the axle disconnect, and then replace the actuator (and disconnect it) if the system doesn't already engage the front axle before it tries to do anything with the transfer case.

I'd suspect that the switch in the actuator that tells the TOD computer that it is engaged is what is really at fault, and I'd really try to clean it before you do anything else.

-Tad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.