Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I made my first post some time ago and talked about my car on the wrong topic, so here's an edited re-post where it should go, also with a few new pics added:

My ride's a 1990 SWB Trooper with factory 4JB1 engine and MUA-5speed, very rare down here in Costa Rica because it's one of the very few diesel Troopers that were sold by the dealership, and out of those, fewer were SWB. Actually I only know about 1 car that is exactly the same as mine and it belongs to my ex-girlfriend's family (that car was actually the reason for me to start looking for a diesel Trooper until I was lucky enough to find this one). You do see some RS Troopers here, and lots of 2dr LWB and 4dr that were brought from the US.

I bought it almost 3 years ago, it's in a fairly good condition, it does need some little bodywork done but since I enjoy wheeling I don't really see that happening.
It recently had a complete suspension work cause it was in pretty bad shape and it was kinda lowriding already, so now it has the original height, no lift still though, but hopefully at some point at least a couple of inches.

According to the engine bay plate it's an S trim. It has no power steering, no cruise control, no AC, the interiors are not nice, no speakers in the back, no center console, it's very basic. And according to the plate it came with 600x16 tires, I recently found this out, and it gets my attention cause I've never seen a Trooper on 16 wheels here, and I remember that when I bought it, it came with 4 alloy wheels (that I know were added by the previous owner) and the spare was a 16 wheel similar to the old Toyota Land Cruiser and Hilux or Isuzu Elf (NKR) trucks -like the ones Andy (ubs_lover) put on his car- with a 600x16 tire, and I remember thinking "who buys this wheel for a Trooper??". Now I'm thinking it was probably the factory wheel and tire, I'm gonna have to do some research on this, I remember I gave that wheel to my friend's dad who has some Isuzu NKR trucks, maybe I can take some pictures of it.

I'm pretty sure it has 4.10 ratio gears cause I feel it very underpowered going up hills but pretty fast on the highway (I can reach 80mph with backwind haha) so I'm gonna look into switching to 4.56

It has a weird gauge configuration, no gauges in the middle of the dash as usual, water temp and fuel tank come together where the tachometer would be and it has no oil pressure gauge and obviously no tachometer.

Pics:

National Regularity Rally Championship CR 09, 3rd place!

This is not for real obviously, the speedometer was loose and out of control! And it has about 410k km already (255k miles)

a beach trip a few weeks ago, with my dad's LS wheels cause my tires are ready to go away, hopefully next week new MT tires:

playing with the big boys:

and this is how I managed to put my CB antenna without drilling the body

I already ordered a spring which I'm gonna add to avoid breaking this one (I broke 2 already because of the weird angle against the spare):

p.s. I changed my nickname from Costa Rican RS to Costa Rican SWB cause now I know that I don't have an RS :D

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
I Really dig your trooper! and the fuel / temp guages are awesome!!!!

more pics!!!!

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pura vida! Bienvenido tico! Mi esposa es de Costa Rica. Nice looking Trooper you have.
Ian

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi, I really love this Trooper.
Is it using a 4JB1 or the one with TurboCharge + InterCooler?

If you use the 4JB1T without an InterCooler than you should add one. It'll gives you 10bhp.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ubs_lover said:
Hi, I really love this Trooper.
Is it using a 4JB1 or the one with TurboCharge + InterCooler?

If you use the 4JB1T without an InterCooler than you should add one. It'll gives you 10bhp.
Hey Andy!

It has a 4JB1, non turbo.

At some point I wanted to add a turbo, but I came to the conclusion that it's just too much money and probably dangerous since this is a 21 year old engine with more than 250k miles on it.
Plus I feel like just switching to 4.56 would be enough to have the power I need going up a hill or wheeling, I hope I'm right...
And my future plan is that when this engine dies, I'll just get an intercooled 4JB1T, but until then I'll just let it as it is.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sorry, I just saw your engine pic.
So you have the 4JB1 non turbo engine. That's rare. Trooper usually fitted with 4JB1T turbo with or without intercooler. Yours maybe specific to Costa Rican Trooper.
You're right, don't add turbo to your non-turbo engine if you're not sure that your engine is in perfect condition. It'll broke easily.

4.10 Final Gear maybe the right gear since 4JB1 N/A usually had so much torque but it's peak horsepower in just 3600rpms. If you feel that it doesn't have power to climb, maybe it already loss it's compression.

Andy

·
Registered
529 Posts
SWB Love! :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Costa Rican SWB said:
I'm afraid you might be right Andy, but even if it lost compression, will a gear upgrade (4.30 or 4.56) help me or would it be non-sense?
Changing to 4.56 would be a great improvement to your truck. You can use bigger tires and it'll raise your offroad capability.

It'll slightly decrease your top speed, but in my experience using 4JA1 non-turbo with 4.56 in LWB Trooper still I can reach 75mph easily. :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Costa Rican SWB said:
yeah I think that's gonna be the next step then

and where can I look for 4.56 gears, 1st gen Trooper? Amigo? Rodeo?

thanks Andy!
Most of early 1st gen Trooper use 4.56, with small axle. It probably will not match your axle.

Try to find it from gasoline 4ZE1 2.6L 1st gen Trooper.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Nice trooper. My CB antenna is mounted in the same place. Those fuel/temp gauges sure are different looking.. dont believe I've ever seen that before.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Heck yeah! The roof rack looks good! We definately have to go wheeling as soon as you get the new tires.

:wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little update:

I just bought new shoes for the Trooper, finally MT's! I wanted to go for 32's but I decided to stick with 31's since I run on 4.11 gear ratio and I already lost enough power with 31's, still have the 4.56 swap in mind for later on, until I have more time $$$$$

Here's a few pics of the new tires, they're Nankang Mudstar N-889 the same kind Beto got some time ago for his 02 Trooper

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Interesting, all the SWB troopers sold in the US came with 4.77 gears. I love the new tires. Looking really good.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Wow Nice...

That tires looks not so wide? Is it 31x10.5" ? How about it's performance?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I love the rigs from other countries why is yours a SWB and not an RS?
Is there a difference?
Just curious :?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts