Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got me a free isuzu trooper 91 with a 4 cyl and a bad 5 speed trans after looking long and hard i cannot find a replacement 5 speed but i did fine a 91 trooper v6 5 speed complete driver. so i bought it for 100$ it drives and runs nice but has serious rust in the frame, so much the rear part of the frame fell off with the bumper and reciever..

Anyhow the plan is to pull the engine and trans from the v6 and put it in the nicer 4cyl trooper chassis.

I almost got the engine and trans out now. i started pulling the engine on the 4cyl but it wouldnt come out due to the front axle so now im dropping the trans since i gotta get it out anyhow and then i will be able to pull the engine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
with the v6 you either have to drop the front axle or back the tranny off the motor to take it out.

word of advice would be to remove the distributor cap and rotor before removing the engine, as it is very easy to break when removing that table stamp.

dunlap

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cantget the dang front shaft connected think im just gonna pull it apart at the slip.. dont have the right size wrench and the dang cresent wrench is rounding the bolt heads off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i got the 4 cly and trans/tcase out! yea! what a pain!

now im taking the v6 and trans / tcase outa the other one, looks like i have to switch the wiring harness also as it is different comming out of the cab too!!! what a pain in the azz, also gotta switch the powersteering pumps and lines and the hydro clutch stuff! exhaust also.

one thing im wondering is can you use the 4cly in tank fuel pump on the v6? or do i need to swap that also? ugh

:x

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Greythorn3,

If your 4 cyl. was the 2.3L, you will have to put in a high pressure pump in the tank. If it was the 2.6L FI, it used the same FP as the 2.8L V6!

Hope this helps,

GB :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Since no one has chimed in I hate to throw cold water on your project but you should know that there are so many difference between the V6 and the 4Cyld. Troopers that it is a major under taking to do the swap. You would be much better off to change the front section (bell housing) of the transmission and keep your 4 Cyld. If you decide to go this route the easiest way to get the 2.6 back in is remove the sub pan from the oil pan this gives you the room you need to clear the front axle. DAVE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts