Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have a 98 Rodeo with the 3.2l v6 4wd, I'd like to swap it out because its pretty much shot and needs a new motor but Ive been having trouble around my area finding another 3.2l v6 for a *reasonable* price. I was wondering if I could swap it out for the 2.2l 4 cylinder that came in the rodeos and amigos. Will it bolt up to my transmission that came with the 3.2l and will the motor mounts or any other parts need to be changed out to do this kind of swap? ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone knows of a reasonably priced 3.2l motor for sale would be greatly appreciated too.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
worst part is you would need to replace the entire wire harness,computer and then the list goes on from there

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whats shot on the motor?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Find a 3.5 from a Trooper or Axiom, preferably one of the fly-by-wire engines and drop that puppy in. It'll bolt up to your tranny, you use your old engine harness, it's basically a direct bolt-up.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Driveby wire is 2000 or newer,it is an ion sensing engine,wire harness is different so it is not a drop in,you may be able to use it as a "long block" and swap your intake etc onto it

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Personally....I think if you swap from a V6 to a 4-cylinder with the weight of these trucks, you're not going to like it.

I have a 3.2L v6 in my 97 rodeo living in Colorado; I personally couldn't fathom, nor would I own a 4-cylinder rodeo....this truck is too heavy for that size of engine.

Also, IIRC the 2.2L comes with it's own issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yes, you will have to use the 3.2 harness, like i said...

·
Registered
555 Posts
garrett0720 said:
ok so I have a 98 Rodeo with the 3.2l v6 4wd, I'd like to swap it out because its pretty much shot and needs a new motor but Ive been having trouble around my area finding another 3.2l v6 for a *reasonable* price. I was wondering if I could swap it out for the 2.2l 4 cylinder that came in the rodeos and amigos. Will it bolt up to my transmission that came with the 3.2l and will the motor mounts or any other parts need to be changed out to do this kind of swap? ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone knows of a reasonably priced 3.2l motor for sale would be greatly appreciated too.
What do you consider "reasonable". What exactly is wrong with your motor. I would look into fixing it. Quite often people say "the motor is dead" when they mean "its not running right",its burning oil or knocking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honestly paying a shop to rebuild the motor will probably be less than buying a new one. Better yet tackle the rebuild yourself and only have a few hundred(and only if need be) to have any machine work done. I personally think the 3.2 is about the weakest I could stand the truck being ... This coming from a guy who's obsessed with built cummins dodges so I'm a bit biased towards gobs of power but I think a 4 cyl rodeo would be unbearable.

But like most ate saying what's wrong with the motor or what symptoms are you dealing with ... Could be something simple...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I noticed that everyone had plenty of feedback about this topic, but no one answered one simple question. Will the 2.2 engine and the 3.2 engine bellhousing bolt pattern interchange? I've searched high and low in this forum and haven't found the answer to that question. I'd like to swap a 99 3.2 V6 in place of my 99 2.2 4 banger, so the answer to that question would be very helpful.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.