Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 86 trooper II turbo diesel just started making some scraping sounds in the front passenger side. my mechanic test drove it with me and determined it was the drive axle, which we knew was in need of replacement already due to a torn cv boot. well, after the replacement the noise is still there and he figures it is in the transmission. he suggests i try to replace it with a standard gas model tranny due to the scarcity of diesel troopers in the states. i checked with the local isuzu recycler and got a very negative reaction to the idea but they don't deal in diesels. hoping i could get a second opinion here. does anyone know what would be required to make the swap?

much thanks-

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
toshxtopher said:
my 86 trooper II turbo diesel just started making some scraping sounds in the front passenger side. my mechanic test drove it with me and determined it was the drive axle, which we knew was in need of replacement already due to a torn cv boot. well, after the replacement the noise is still there and he figures it is in the transmission. he suggests i try to replace it with a standard gas model tranny due to the scarcity of diesel troopers in the states. i checked with the local isuzu recycler and got a very negative reaction to the idea but they don't deal in diesels. hoping i could get a second opinion here. does anyone know what would be required to make the swap?

IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD USED GAS TROOPER TRANS 86-87 THE ONLY YEARS THAT WILL WORK, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SWAP THE TRANSMISSION FRONT CASE OR BELLHOUSING AND USE THE DSL FRT BEARING RETAINER . IT WILL ALL BOLT RIGHT BACK UP JERRY

much thanks-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. have you done this job? about how many hours spent on the job? any challenges? grateful for any further advice or experience you have to offer.

take care-
tosh christopher

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
toshxtopher said:
thanks for the reply. have you done this job? about how many hours spent on the job? any challenges? grateful for any further advice or experience you have to offer.

take care-
tosh christopher
BEEN THERE DONE THAT MANY TIMES AND IT WILL TAKE YOU ABOUT 8 HRS TO PULL SWAP AND REINSTALL THE TRANS IF YOU ARE NOT BOTHERED BY SOMETHING ELSE , THE TRANS IS A BEAR O THE DSL TO REMOVE , WHEN YOU GO TO REMOVE IT GET THE REAR MOUNT OFF OF THE TRANS AND ALL THE BELLHOUSING BOLTS OUT AND LIFT THE TREAR OF THTRANS AS FAR AS IT WILL GO AND TIP THE FRT DOWN AND ROTATE TO THE DRIVERS SIDE AND KEEP THE BACK END AS HIGH AS YOU CAN , IT IS A TIP UP AND DROP FRT TIPUP AN DROP FRT A LITTLE AT A TIME UNTILL THE BELLHOUSING CLEARS THE PRESSURE PLATE ASSY , TRY AND USE A TRANS JACK THAT ISA HEAVY TRANS AND ALL THE HANDLES ARE IN THE WRONG SPOT ,JUST DON,T LET IT FALL ON YOU ,IF IT STARTS TO SLIP GET OUT OF THE WAY OR IT WILL MASH YOU A GOOD ONE , JUST BE CAREFULL GO SLOW AND STUDY IT AS YOU GO AND YOU WILL BE OK JERRY

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are we talking manuals or automatics? A manual swap will work, but I'd be concerned about an automatic. I don't know about Isuzus, but most other diesels have a much lower redline than a gas engine. An automatic set up for gas engines will rev higher between shifts, and could possibly over-rev the diesel. I'd make sure that the tranny's themselves are indeed interchangeable for the different applications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is a manual 5spd

thanks for the advice jerry!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts