Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my 94 Trooper off road -- it was nothing too drastic -- just a slightly muddy and snowy field that had been tilled. The only real bumps were from the remaining furrows in the ground. Some of them were decent sized, but nothing over 1 foot tall. For some reason my suspension kept hitting the stops in the rear with a loud thunking sound. Later I was driving on road with two full sized adults in the back of the vehicle and it did the same thing over medium bumps in the road. Even with nobody in the back it will do it when hitting bigger bumps in the road.

I don't have a lot of off road experience -- so is this normal or should I invest in new shocks for the rear end????

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It sounds to me like you are missing one or both rear bumpstops. It will be obvious if you are missing one, but if you are missing both you might miss them. They are rubber and sit directly above the axle on the frame. Each one should have 2 horizontal holes in it (for compression).

St Charles will have cheap replacements. If they are both there, and the ride is still too bouncy, it's time for some shocks. I really like the OME shocks that I have. Any one of our Vendors can get you a set of those.

-Tad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look for those bump stops when I'm under there today. Hopefully that is what it is. I am, however, detecting a little bit more body sway going around corners than I'm used to. Would this be an indication of worn shocks???

What type of shocks are the OEM shocks? Does Monroe make any similar to them? How much on average should I expect to pay for them?

I think pulling a trailer was what did my shocks in. It was one of those 12' U-hauls...and some a**h*le in front of me made a dead stop, so I had to lock up my brakes. Even though the trailer had those mechanical brakes that sense pressure on the hitch, I'm sure it stressed the rear end out -- this thing has 125K miles on it and knowing how most people keep up on maintenance -- they are old shocks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mwraight-
Sounds like your O.E. shox are hissstory! I run Pro Comp ES3000s and Dig em' (around $40.00 each!). There are more expensive shox out there,(O.M.E., Rancho 9000s etc.) but from my experience, Pro Comp make a good product. If your going to be doing alot of towing however, air shocks or spring helpers(Firestone Air Ride for instance) may be in your future. My two cents.
HAPPY ZU YEAR!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.