Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing down this ting-ting like rattle when hitting bumps for a while now. Last night I decided to set my manual hubs to 4x4, but leave the drivetrain in 2 wheel. Noise is gone! There is no noise when in 4 wheel either.

Now I know the hubs are tight and sealed and well maintained. This noise had been going on for a year now and I just recently removed and greased the hubs again while tightening the wheel bearings.

2 questions:

What would cause that noise in perfectly functional Superwinch Hubs?

Would it cause damage to drive while the hubs are in 4x4 and the drivetrain in 2x?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I cant answer the first one but it should cause any harm as 2nd gens came with drive flanges which essentially are manual hubs that are locked in all the time

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I'm thinking that it is more likely not the hubs, but something else that gets held in place, when you lock the hubs in.

I have the same ting ting rattle, and I don't have manual hubs installed yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selador said:
I'm thinking that it is more likely not the hubs, but something else that gets held in place, when you lock the hubs in.

I have the same ting ting rattle, and I don't have manual hubs installed yet.
I thought about that one thread were we had similar issues!

That makes sense, though in retrospect I don't remember hearing the noise until after I installed the hubs.

When you installing yours?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
fourzeedee1 said:
I thought about that one thread were we had similar issues!

That makes sense, though in retrospect I don't remember hearing the noise until after I installed the hubs.

When you installing yours?
No idea.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I know that in some superwinch's the knob that you turn will rattle. I know protetypes hubs do that. Dont think mine ever did but I had enough other rattles I probably wouldnt have noticed it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The original Superwinches on mine rattled after about a year. FWIW I just shoved a tookpick piece in the gap between the spinning dial part and the outer fixed portion. That stopped the rattle. If you find any play in the dial this is likely your problem and pretty much a free and easy thing to try.

A couple of years back when those hubs died I got a new set from Superwinch for free. Those are rattle free.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've been trying to find the rattle in the front of my Amigo for a year and finally figured it out about a month ago. The Superwinch hubs on mine rattle also. I need to repack the bearings and figured I would put some real heavy grease on them and see if that fixes it, at least temporarily.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I had the tinny rattle, too.

But then, I put the superwinch manuals on.

Rattle gone.

I know that in mine, the clip in the auto hub had come off. Chewed up the splines on the shaft.

I don't think it was the c clip that I was hearing. I think I was hearing the inner body of the auto hub, rattling around in the tin can of a housing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are using the hub caps with warn out wavy washers under the lug nuts you will hear all kinds of rattling.

John

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Yes Superwinch hubs will rattle a little once they get some time on the when they are unlocked. It's normal and doesn't hurt a thing. You mainly hear it driving past a wall on a rough road and such. I had a set that did that for over 200k miles with no probs other than a little noise.

Do not pack any grease in a super winch hub outside of the black plate with the snap ring. The hubs will not work. No grease in the silver part. just a squirt of oil. These hubs lock and unlock by spring pressure. If you grease them the spring won't have enough umph to overcone the grease.

Stock steel wheels with the center caps and double washers will occasionally rattle as well. Warpy washer goes on 1st then flat washer the lug nut. The warpy washer hold tension on the center caps to help keep it from rattling. It works Ok but is a little overdesigned!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
grease the needle bearings

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
chikoroll said:
grease the needle bearings
There are no bearings in the Superwinch hub. It doesn't have anything to do with the needle bearings in the spindle. It's just the nature of the design. The locking "slug" inside the hub floats on a weak springs and by necessity has a loose fit. The dial will rattle as well over time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i wasn't referring to the hubs, i was referring to the needle bearing on the otherside of the stub axle

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
chikoroll said:
i wasn't referring to the hubs, i was referring to the needle bearing on the otherside of the stub axle
Yep I know. It's a good thing to do but in this case it doesn't likely have anything to do with the hub rattle. My hubs rattle before and after greasing the needles.

Actually It's a great thing to do and rarely gets done. You have to pretty much have the knuckle off to do it. Your comment got me thinking and I went back and looked at my write up on the front suspension in my 2nd link below. I showed a pic of inserting the greased stub in the knuckle. But neglected to mention greasing those bearings or replacing the dust seal n the back. Even a lot of folks that work on this stuff don't realize they are in there supporting the drive axle. Makes me realize no matter how much detail I thought I put into a write up I always miss something! :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
squatch said:
Yep I know. It's a good thing to do but in this case it doesn't likely have anything to do with the hub rattle. My hubs rattle before and after greasing the needles.

Actually It's a great thing to do and rarely gets done. You have to pretty much have the knuckle off to do it. Your comment got me thinking and I went back and looked at my write up on the front suspension in my 2nd link below. I showed a pic of inserting the greased stub in the knuckle. But neglected to mention greasing those bearings or replacing the dust seal n the back. Even a lot of folks that work on this stuff don't realize they are in there supporting the drive axle. Makes me realize no matter how much detail I thought I put into a write up I always miss something! :lol:
I'm pretty sure it's these bearing that are still making the shooshing sound in the front axles on mine.

I'll have to look into the seals that need to be replaced, before I pull mine apart to inspect them. Probably a good idea to get new bearings while I am at it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That's the one Squatch :)

I suspect on my Jackaroo at home, they are shattered (doesn't click when locked, has Aisin Warner manual hubs)

On my trooper here, 1 had disinegrated, the needles had travelled down the cv shaft and into the wheel bearings, seizing that wheel whilst driving, every 2.2 miles at all speeds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts