Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellow Planet members,
I'm looking into manual locking hubs for the Rodeo. I found the Superwinch Premiums through Summit Racing for $98 shipped. My questions are:
Are these good hubs?
Where do you suggest I obtain the "special" snapring (26mm) for installation?
Would I be better off trying to source a good set of Aisins? (not having much luck on finding)

Here's the link to the hubs I'm considering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-400533/

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I've been runnig them for years and like them. Get the snap rings(couple of saets) they are needed. Some prefer other hubs but the SW's get the job done fine. Check here and you will see pics of how to install.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909&start=75

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
If you can find Aisins for a decent price, go for them. I get them for $30 a pair at the local pull and pay when I find them. Otherwise, superwinch hubs are fine. I ran them for a while on mine and had no complaints. I only switched to aisins because I found some and wasnt going to let them go to the crusher. Some dont like superwinchs because they are the weakest of the 3 main brands, but I liked that. They are cheaper and easier to replace then a broken cv joint.

If you get them, MAKE SURE you use blue loctite on the large allen bolts that hold the hub on and use anti seize on the small screws that hold the cap on. If you dont, the large allens will work themselves loose and the small ones will weld themselves into place.

I use 1" snap rings which are available at any auto parts store. They are slightly smaller so they fit tighter and dont pop off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim Paget ran Superwinch hubs on his tricked out trooper 3.4L, ARB lockers for and aft, 33" tires and said he never had a problem with them.

John in LV

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed a set of these about 1.5yrs ago, when i installed new rotors bearings, CV half shafts and brake pads.
easy to install, but if your installing them re-grease everything and check the bearings also.
I like them cause i do get slightly better fuel milage, and when i need them i know they are locked and i don't have to back up etc.

just get out and turn the switch.
I have heard that the alloy screws that hold the outter hub assembly can be stripped very easy due to the light metal.
just be careful.

I don't 4 wheel much but when i do they work great.
cheers

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think I am one of just a few people who have Warren hubs. All I have to say is good things about them. They are strong and easy to turn to engage. Plus if I do need to rebuild them I know I can go to my local parts store and order in a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
betterthanyou said:
I think I am one of just a few people who have Warren hubs. All I have to say is good things about them. They are strong and easy to turn to engage. Plus if I do need to rebuild them I know I can go to my local parts store and order in a rebuild kit.
Warren = Warn :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had Superwinch hubs for about 2 yrs. now with no problems. I haven't had the sticking outer bolt problems but I check mine often as I do frequent places that require water crossings. Anti-seize is your friend if you are worried about bolts sticking. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on the hubs yesterday. Should be here around Wednesday this coming week. I couldn't pass them up at that price since the USED aisins were all around the same price (or more). I'm installing them while replacing the drivers side cv axle assy and repacking bearings, etc. I appreciate the heads up about the locktite and anti-sieze on the inner and outer bolts. I'll be Uwharrie ready in no time!!!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
BigSwede said:
betterthanyou said:
Warren = Warn :p
LOL Oops.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
aww sweet...........................
according to summet there no longer making them for the 8 bolt axil.... :roll: late or early model

that makes even more insensitive to get in to a 89 model now......

·
Registered
166 Posts
I blew one up a couple of years ago at superlift park... At the same time the cv on tha side and my 10 bolt exploded. If that is what it takes to break one they are just fine IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts