Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I do not have Dyno results for all my mods....so take this for what its worth and what I started off with.

Supercharger
My supercharger is ported(inlet/outlet),polished,rotor coated and rebuilt with a 2.25" Snout, 6" crank. I went from 5lbs to 7lbs to 10lbs.. I was not happy with performance of stock set up.

ECU
Was upgraded by JET performance with 7lbs of Boost, Cold Air Intake,Dual Exhaust.

Transmission
Was auto Converted to 5spd

Gears
4.10 unsure where im going from here. I have 4.30's Prob put them in since my offroad career died before i could complete the truck(leaning twds 4.56 on 33's)

Tires
Back to 255/55/18 Cooper M&S 29"(too small for the lift but handle like Noones Biz)

Suspension
Indy 4x 3" lift Adjustable Shocks(set to Hardest Setting)(soon to have 1.5 lift puck from daystar) Cranked T-Bars

Interior
Leather Seats form a rodeo,Eliminated back seat. Nothing special

Exhaust
2.25" True Duals Bullet Cats, Dynomax Super Turbos. 2 18" glass Packs out through bumper where License plate was.

Intake
Ported Polished Throttlebody, Short Ram Air into Cowl hood, Ported MAF K&N Cone Filter(ive had since 1999,Love it!!!!)

Motor
Portmatched heads,intake,Gaskets,and Polished, 3.2(soon to be 3.5 when i sell my kidney and spleen)

Trial and Error

Ok my truck i think was rated 205 HP at the crank which in an Auto prob equals roughly 150 at the wheels give or take. When I dyno'd my truck with stock airbox 5lbs of boost, stock exhaust piping,Turbo Muffler Catco Cats. I dyno'd at 186RWHP.

Now since then I put on 2.25" duals with Bullet cats Dynomax mufflers and 2 full Glasspacks at the ends to drastically cut the volume. With all the S/C mods and motor tinkering I need to hear this thing purr not to mention the S/C is nice and abnoxious when you want to turn someones head.

Now I tried a set of cherry bomb Turbo Mufflers to quiet it down, I got a horrific Death RAttle that sounded like a Wrist pin wrapping under Accleration. I lost almost 2lbs of boost(believe it or not im just telling you what happened even if it sounds crazy and think its not possible), it took alot longer to spool up and basically sounded like Crap to me. I went back to Dynomax super turbo's (14" case length) and im thinking with how much better it runs with less restriction being Supercharged im leaning twds Magnaflow soon(straight throw design)... Now I also rerouted my exhaust to be more straight through and elimintaed that Big Upwards bend that goes over the rear end and put the glasspacks out of my bumper where license plate was, My boost gauge reads from 10 to 11/12 lbs of boost...again im just telling you what is happening...

So I decided to take it a step further and added Water Meth injection(Devils Own Boost Activated) cause i wasnt sure if I would have detonation with that much boost.....Im still running stock FMU and fuel pump til my motor tells me otherwise...The only thing it tells me now is HOLD ON!

keep in mind this is a 5yr project in the making.....I'm nowhere near done....I wont stop until im pushing 300RWHP....I will be getting it dyno'd to see my numbers before I build this 3.5 and compare to what i started with.

Suspension ROCKS for on road cornering and handling...it rides like a truck but sticks like a car...Stiff for most people perfect for me between a truck and sports car....No clue what it does offroad, still a virgin :wink: . Im working on trying to tighten up steering somehow, its not sloppy but i want a little better response eventually...A dampener would be great but not sure if IFS can work with one....anyone???

Driveability
Well, its FUN!!!!!!...Sounds sick for a v6 cause its quiet now and you can hear the motor and SC Extremely well over exhaust...I'm sorry nothing touches a V8 sound....i'm not a fan of V6's but i'm addicted to these trucks like a Drug-Dealing welfare recipient on the First of the month....Its a sick addiction but F'-It...And these trucks are very hard to tune the exhaust...I had 400 and 455 in my Pontiac trans am and you could put the cheapest muffler on and would Soud great!...

I was pulling solid low/mid 15's in the 1/4 mile before i started doing these other mods...only the supercharger and CAI was on at that point....My goal, Low 14's...I don't think that's asking too much...I'm sure the 4.30s will help that out some...Thank god for the SC because I think 3rd gear in these 5spds are Junk and way too long and 4th and 5th are too close to each other to even have 2 extra gears...i think 5th should be way longer and 3rd and 4th should be much shorter...just my opinion...5th gear should be your Gas Mileage gear right?...well why not make it idle at 65.3mph in 5th gear at 1425.29rpms...right :lol:

I think 31"s are perfect for the Person who wants best of both worlds...Clearance and handling....Id put them on 20's tho to eliminate sidewall and rolling in the corners and go with a tire that has the Lip for Rim Protection...otherwise 265/60/18 are a nice 30.4" tire which Is where I will be once i sell my tires on there now...basically trading 29"s for 30.4"s..if i get 20"s def going with a 31 of some sort...I think a 10ply tire is way too much with my limited Exp for the Amigo....just too damn much for a 33" tire and light truck...again my opinion.....I like lower profile for most of my driving is on the street and dont want to roll my truck to avoid some JerkOff talking on their phone or doing their makeup or yelling at their kids cause they didnt spend enough time with teaching, instead let the TV Give them Gravy for the Brain....So handling is a must!!!...

braking...I think the brakes are Lacking in many ways for stock use let alone Mod'd in any way....I mean other than putting Drilled and Slotted rotors on here, theres alot of Fab needed to get Great Braking after you've tried the Steel braided Brake lines and Good Pads and Rotors New Master Cylinder and Check Valve....if anyone knows how to make these things stop better please im all ears.....I never liked the brakes on the amigos or the 2003 rodeo i totalled. the axiom wasnt any better...

If one had the money and are supercharged I think some sort of tuner would make these trucks Especially Intriguing to drive......lots of potential....highly recommend Portmatching on these motors, the Turbulence caused def robs power....you may not feel it like some mods but Airflow and restrictions are exactly what it is......and you can do this yourself with a dremel...i did mine and running great....

ok im done....had to get that off my chest....I will add pics maybe tomorrow.....Duquesne Pilsner is Great Beer....! :drunken:

Thanks to all who have bought some of my stuff...Im almost back to work....and ready to Rock!!!!! and if you havent figured this out my mind changes like the wind hourly,Directions shift constantly and I may be Bipolar or have multiple personalities, havent decided on that yet but I mean well :wink: ...

Cheers

CRASH

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I've been considering taking a stock intake manifold and getting it retrofitted to accept the 3.8 supercharger available on a lot of GM vehicles. The more I hear about your success with yours, the more I want to do it!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cronk said:
I've been considering taking a stock intake manifold and getting it retrofitted to accept the 3.8 supercharger available on a lot of GM vehicles. The more I hear about your success with yours, the more I want to do it!
Well that GM SC more than likely is off a 3800 correct?..like a bonneville that i raced and recorded him blowing me away at the end of 2nd to 3rd gear shift when I first put the truck on the track years ago.....

well if im correct in my guess its the exact same SC. and EATON M62....and if anyone tells you you cant get more than 8 to 10lbs of boost out of that charger and run it on stock FMU and an ECU with advanced timing and advanced fuel Chip from JET, you can send them to pittsburgh Raceway PArk and id gladly let them make some runs down the track with my truck and show em how my project turned out...Water meth injection not needed either for detonation, just added bonus.

Now im not saying that an Adjustable FMU wouldnt be a good idea,or a Stand alone ECU, but im not messing with whats working right now until my guages and motor tell me otherwise.....The motor does run a lil hotter now so the Cowl hood is great for pushing that heat down and under the truck when youre rolling...its like a free foot warmer in the winter,....but its only running right in the middle in regards to tho Gauge...Im thinking about that and making my next steps on countering some of that heat.... But I highly recommend some extra help in cooling if your throwing alot of extra boost...and check and change oil a lil more frequently if your like me and just want to play it safe....

If you can find someone to weld that up for you GO FOR IT!!!!...and if it were me id look into tryoing to get an M90 or a lil bigger under there to get more air moving with less work and heat from the S/C....but you can tweak the living crap out of this eaton and get some incredible results.....

def keep me posted on what you do....I have to ship out my seats I sold today and will get some of the First of Final stage of my exhaust pics up on this thread.....

Im no expert on this by any means...this is my first major Bastardization of a system like this....i just want yall to know how and why its working the way it does.....and im open to all improvements!!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Actually, the Supercharger off of MOST GM 3800's is an M90. The M62 only came on the Series 1 3800SC for a couple of years. Once GM switched to the Series 2 they also switched to the M90 in 1997 and have been using it ever since (upgrading to each new Generation of supercharger as it came out).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ImpulseRocket89 said:
Actually, the Supercharger off of MOST GM 3800's is an M90. The M62 only came on the Series 1 3800SC for a couple of years. Once GM switched to the Series 2 they also switched to the M90 in 1997 and have been using it ever since (upgrading to each new Generation of supercharger as it came out).
Either way m62 tweaked or m90 or up.......Id go with a bigger blower to start off with if youre gonna go through the trouble of making something fit..... or do a centrifugal with inner/after cooler and make the the most of that system.... im confident in the boost and power im making now that the motor should hold up for a while.....over 100,000 miles......and I clean the carbon out routinely.... :twisted:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seem like one could get an entire supercharged 3800 and its computer and swap it in for about the same difficulty as adapting the SC to an Isuzu engine. Am I wrong on that? I'd see airconditioning ad power steering to be difficult parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Blown V8? Well the 1989-1992 pushrod Caddy will bolt up to the trans. So will the 3800 and several other GM V6 variants. I had a 1990 Caddy years ago. Fun to drive, powerful. Even normally aspirated, it would put some real kick in a Rodeo. There is one in a Trooper somewhere on the web.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts