Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're a bunch of blokes from Perth West OZ and we are currently working thru the details of supercharging the 6VE1. We have made contact with the South African folk responsible for the Alpine kits and while they are not making the kits any more they have offered all their experience & knowledge to help our little endeavour
Alpine will be casting the manifolds for us, but want a minimum run of 10, with a cost estimate of around AUD700 each. We don't have $7K so are looking for 7 interested parties, most likely the DIY types, to come in on the manifold buy with us
The manifold is being made to suit the MP90 that Magnuson SC are currently offered on EBay US for $275, which is a ridiculous bargain in itself!
This isn't intended as a marketing ploy, we're just a bunch who love the underated Soozoo! We have full workshop & machining at our fingertips, once we've done our own vehicles and supplied the bits for anyone else that wants in that'll be it.

PM for more or reply here
Rob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Robbomaz,

I might be interested but have some questions for you?

1. Are you planning an intercooler setup with MP90?
a. if yes than how much body lift will be required, because I doubt you will be able to clear hood either without a hood scoop or a body lift?

2. Manifold is one thing who is going to get the fuel RAIL, EGR port, Throttle body setup, pulleys and other goodies?

3. What kind of boost would you be looking at?

4. What is the total cost that we are looking at? if it is going to be a complete kit minus the MP90.

If it is a end to end deal i,e some body is going to get the remaining parts machined I might be interested, I do not have resources nor time to get every thing worked out by myself. On a different note I live only 30 miles from magnusonproducts. I can negotiate a better price from them because I can just walk in the door and pickup supercharger and they do not have to worry about shipping.

On a different note have you looked up at some alternative setup with a standalone supercharger like powerdyne. I have included a link below where Mike from Morgan-Tec ran the setup for few year on his Axiom which had same engine as our vehicles.

In fact I was talking to Jerry yesterday if he would be interested in getting a similar setup, One would hope with a standalone supercharger it might be cheaper but the low cost of MP90 will offset that setup.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/382403

Thanks,

-Ankur

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ankur,
Thanks for your interest! Our objective is to do the job right but at the best possible price (ie the retail kits are too expensive for us family men!) We are aiming for a solid 'base' package that won't see expensive parts being binned should the power bug bite (mean 'when' not 'should'!)

Agreed the Powerdyne doesn't require the expensive manifold but we went this way because a positive displacement SC will fatten up the power under the curve dramatically right where a 4-by needs it - and the $275 SC was the icing!

We ARE looking into the intercooler path but as things are right now we are not intercooling for the following reasons:
All existing casting dies for 6VE1 manifold do not incorporate (big $ to change)
Only IC cores I have found to date are for the 112 size SCs

I would think you would need a lift or scoop with an IC. We have a mashup of vehicles here, one is an 86 Jackaroo on a 98 chassis with a 50mm hard body lift, mine is a 95 Rodeo (Pickup to you guys I think) four door on a stretched 00 Jackaroo chassis with a 60mm hard body lift, and the third is a basically unmessed-with 99 Jackaroo
For my own vehicle I am planning on trying a Coolingmist water injection setup

We have a full workshop and machining facilities at our disposal - all the other parts needed will be manufactured once we have the basics in place. Remember we have 3 vehicles here to get blown, so the plan is to get as many of the extra components manufactured as we have manifold customers

Following input from the folks at Alpinesport, boost planned at 5psi to start. Standard Soozoo fuel hardware can cope, and adds 50-60 RWHP. Likely that the MP90 will be slightly underdriven for this

This will not be an untested setup though! We have a bodyless Jackaroo chassis with a MY2000 3.5 & MT that will be our 'test mule' - this completely stock without even an oil change and 432000 kms on the odo motor produced 134 RWHP, (I was quite impressed by that!) so we have our baseline

I can pretty much guarantee that once the 'sale' package is finished we will be slapping on an aftermarket ECU and feeding it more fuel & boost to see how far we can get before it blows :twisted:

Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still working on this folks, currently addressing clearances around the SC itself and it's actual position on the manifold
Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok folks, sorry for the delay!
I have manifold pricing - Price is Aussie dollars.

Qty 5 - AUD1278.
Qty 10 - AUD1205

I am sorry this is a bit over what I estimated, apparently the cost of the raw aluminium is responsible. :oops:

We are not quite finalised on some small details, but I am now satisfied enough to start taking payments from interested parties.

Please PM me for details on how to make secure payment.
Please post any other questions here.
Blown Soozoos here we come! :twisted:

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I want this so bad for my 6VD1!! But cant they use recycled aluminium?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Expecting manifold drawings back from Alpine for checking this week!

*Happy dance* 8)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
PM me with the latest info!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
How about some pics of the work done so far?

Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the huge delay folks :(
Where we at? Manifolds go to CNC this week if they haven't already!
We will have manifolds crank pulleys idlers fuel rails and inlet pipes in our hands by Christmas time.
I will load some pics soon, I don't have them on ths PC

I'm going to try and PM everyone that mailed me, hopefully you are all waiting to hear from me :lol:

Rob

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Robbomaz said:
Sorry for the huge delay folks :(
Where we at? Manifolds go to CNC this week if they haven't already!
We will have manifolds crank pulleys idlers fuel rails and inlet pipes in our hands by Christmas time.
I will load some pics soon, I don't have them on ths PC

I'm going to try and PM everyone that mailed me, hopefully you are all waiting to hear from me :lol:

Rob
Oh nice!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Hermit said:
Curious if this Supercharger plan ever happened?
It's still in the works.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I want to see some pics! If you're serious about this product, then show us some pics!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK people all the parts are now finished machining, just arranging the shipping from Alpine to us here and we will have some photos to drool over

VERY excited now! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Robbomaz said:
OK people all the parts are now finished machining, just arranging the shipping from Alpine to us here and we will have some photos to drool over

VERY excited now! :D
Yeah well would appear I lied :? Here we are 3 months later and still waiting....there was an issue with a core moving which was only discovered when the CNC mill broke thru into a void that should not have been there, and I'm quite sure there has been a lot of New Year procrastination in SA..... however, the first full batch of parts will hit Fedex this week, and pics and detailed postings will follow once I have parts in my hands. :lol:

I shan't say I'm excited, look what happened last time I said that :oops:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This just in: Email from Alpine saying the parts can be packed for Fedex......please note they havent said they ARE packed, but they CAN be :?

I thought Australia was a laid back place! :D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts