Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rodeo came stock (2001) with painted grey bumpers with the rest of the truck being black. I want to match them to the rest of the truck, but I would like to do it myself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I assume i need to sand it down with a high grit paper, 400?

Clean the dust off real good...

Prime it? Do I need to prime it? what kind of primer would I use?

Paint it, im going to be using a spray can, probably duplicolor, is there a specific kind for plastic, or a better brand?

Will I finish this off with a clearcoat? if so is there a specific type/brand I should use?

I know I could probably do all of this without asking these questions, i just dont want this to peel or crack up like I have seen some peoples crap paint jobs do before.

FYI - I live where the tempeture ranges from -30*C to +30*C so this needs to be fairly durable.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A suggestion is that you should just take it to a paint shop.
To Just do the bumpers and trim should only be a couple
hundred dollars. You yourself would probably spend half that
and do a craptacular job.

One of the best primers for paint is paint. No need to sand. I would just
go to a paint shop and ask them for a bottle of there compound that
they use between top coats. It is like a superfine compound that will help
smooth out imperfections. 3M makes many product for this. The main
thing is that is has to be clean clean clean, and I just dont mean Windex.

·
Registered
108 Posts
heres something that might help.
rattle can paint made by S E M /colorcoat this is a flexible coating for plastics.i bought some from the local dupont auto paint store here in albuquerque.i've painted all kinds of plastic trip/bumpers,etc.works well .will dry hard but will remain flexible.comes in mult colors.good luck.

shoe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.