Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

The battery has been dying for a while and now it has sat for 12 day while we were on vaca and it will be dead when we get home. With winter coming on it is time for a new one. I have used Autozone for the BMW and I like that one because it has the vent the same as the BMW oem battery. I plan on installing a vent on the Trooper to get the gas away from the top and keep the corrosion off the posts. I will route the tube down below the chassis.

So the question is, what is the best battery for the Trooper. The Autozone unit that is recommended by them does not have the vent so I want a unit with the vent. They are made by Johnson Controls who makes a lot of batteries that have labels from Walmart to others. Not sure who makes Costco batteries.

I did a search and did not come up with any conclusions. I may just measure the battery tray and start measuring batteries. I was hoping someone has gone down this path before...

I would like the highest CCA (I think that makes sense) I can get for the size.

Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Depending on budget, you might look into the high end Sears ones.

One of these will be my next battery purchase, without a doubt. Many of my friends that have already switched from the Optima to these and not one complaint so far.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The battery tray is big enough to fit almost any size you want, so feel free to get a larger battery with more CCA if you want.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
95BadBoy said:
Depending on budget, you might look into the high end Sears ones.

One of these will be my next battery purchase, without a doubt. Many of my friends that have already switched from the Optima to these and not one complaint so far.
I have heard great things about these batteries, but they are $$$. They are made by Odyssey, and if you wait you can get them on sale quite a bit one Sunday a month at Sear's Friends & Family.

I have also heard great things about the Kirkland (Costco) batteries. They are cheap, made in the USA, have a 3 yr warranty, and I have heard they are made by Johnson Controls, a reputable battery manufacturer. I believe this will be my next battery.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure Optima's and Odessy are similar but made by different companies.

Anyway I love my Blue top Optima's. I have 4 of them. 3 in the boat and one in the Trooper. They are the ultimate 4x4 battery. Deep cycle and dual terminals. They can't spill electrolite and can even be mounted upside down or sideways. They crank great even in cold and if you discharge them down no problem. You didn't kill the battery like a cranking style. The dual terminals are the bomb for attaching accessories. Mine are the smaller of the 2 sizes. I think group 34.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Just an update. It seems that Johnson Controls has ruined another American company. They bought Optima and built a plant in Mexico an moved production of Optimas there from Aurora, Colorado. Bastards!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
squatch said:
Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure Optima's and Odessy are similar but made by different companies.
I was referring to the Sears DieHard Platinum, not Optima. I have heard Optima's quality has dropped recently.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Relating to battery longevity, I recall seeing a "Consumer Reports" issue recently stating that the "Exide" brand was superior. Unfortunately, I don't recall which Exide model and have mislaid the issue! Does anyone else subscribe?

Hope this may be of some help,

GB

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hatfield said:
squatch said:
I was referring to the Sears DieHard Platinum, not Optima. I have heard Optima's quality has dropped recently.
You are quite correct, since the changes that have taken place with Johnson Control - the quality of the Optima has dropped considerably. Many failures within the first year have been reported. The Sears Platinum batteries are made by the Oddessey company, The only reason that I do not have a Platinum in my CRD already is the fact that a friend that owns a car sterio shop gave me a new Red Top for doing some work on his house.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the posts...I am between the Autozone with the vent and the Costco with lots of CCA. Trying to determine if the corrosion is from a dirty battery or the acid venting off of the top.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I got a Kirkland in my '96 Trooper (SLX). Group size 34 with 795 CCA (1000 CA). Costs around $65 and fits nicely.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the Costco is the way I am going to go. There is some corrosion but I am going to paint the tray and keep the new battery real clean.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the Costco #4 (cannot remember the group number) that fits nicely but is not the one listed. It has 850 CCA so it has some good reserve capacity.

I coated the terminals with dielectric grease and am going to keep it clean.

Cheers!

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, that's it...the group 65. It is $85 now. Thanks for the web site...there is no "other" info online for Costco batteries.

Ah, see you are in HI. Just got back from 10 days in Kauai and the battery was flat. I charged it but it was not holding. It has been going downhill for a while so I was planning on getting a new one when we got back and before winter.

Cheers!

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's good to be prepared. I grew up in the seattle area so I know how the winters can be. You don't want to be stranded.
Kauai is a very beautiful place. I bet you loved it. Hope the battery works out for you and remember there's a warranty.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Try shopping at an actual battery store. There is most likely one in your area that sells, builds and recycles batteries. In my area I shop at Edmonds batteries. I just bought a Trojan AGM battery (looks like an Optima) and the guy even charge checked it before he sold it to me. Every morning they check the standing voltage of the batteries they sell and top up any that are getting low. Stuff sitting at Sears and Costco don't get that kind of attention so they could already be sulfated. I would suggest starting there and you will get honest advice and not advice from a multi million dollar advertising budget.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I went to Costco and got the biggest battery there... and it fits just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts