Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing a SAS on my rodeo and happen to have some axles from a 3/4 ton burb laying around. I understand that the Chevy axles are slightly wider than from a jeep? Can I get away with using these or is it going to be way to much of a headache?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Measure your rear axle from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. A Suburban will be about 65". Compare the two, decide if you can live with the increase.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
If you have the front AND rear axle you can use them, the wheels will just stick out more. Here's a Rodeo with full width chevy axles:

You could tuck the wheels under more with some extra backspacing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool! yes I have both axles, a 14sf rear and D44 front.
thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
No problem, post some pics when you start building!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I say do the swap & get a set of rims t that come out level with, or just past, your hubs, no fun sucking the tires in just to shatter a hub on a boulder... And 5.13s & a set of 36's lol.

~psguardian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking about doing 5:38's (highest i can get for the SF) and 35-37" tires. depending on what will fit. I started cleaning the axles up today to start building them. Unfortunately i won't be able to do the actual lift until after my deployment this fall.
I will start posting some pics later tonight :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only other thing i am slightly worried about is on road handling. Unfortunately i don't have a car hauler yet and will still be driving this thing to and from the trail.
psgaurdian- i was looking at rims today and figure i can go with the standard chevy offset (3.5" i think) and it won't stick out much more than my current set up

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
A standard 3.5" backspacing on say a 15x8 rim will have the wheels poking out a bit more than you have now. unless your running some tiny backspaced wheels now. The full size axles are about 67-68" wide, the stock '92 Rodeo axles are only about 58-59". So even with a 0" backspacing on your stock axles, the 3.5" backspacing wheels would stick out about 1.5" more on each side, and I don't think your running a wheel with no backspacing :lol: As far as handling, take your time setting the suspension up right and your steering and you'll be fine. It won't handle like your current IFS does (if your running leafs up front and crossover steering) but it won't be much different than driving an old leaf-spring front-end truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got around to taking some pics and uploading them.
so here is how the project sits as of now:

This is the current set up, stock height with 31's. not sure what the backspacing is on these rims

rear axles (14sf) tore down except for brakes and backing plates. I started cleaning it up with flapper discs but i need to get some wire wheels to get into the crevices.

Front axle (d44) with the shafts from the rear. I haven't started on it yet. I figure one at a time :)

pinion from the rear. hard to see but it has a couple of decent gouges in it. Glad i wanted to regear anyways :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crap that's not how i wanted that post to go. was trying to get the actual pics in it....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anybody know what i did wrong on putting the pics in? I uploaded to photo bucket and then copied and pasted the URL in

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Fixed it for you, when you pull up your picture, there is a box next to it with 4 different types of embedding codes. The bottom one that says IMG tag(I think that is what it says) is the one you need to copy/paste.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you RamAirZ! I appreciate it :D

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
No problem, anytime!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Being a guy that owns a full size chevy (87) trail rig that Im selling now I can tell you that IMO what your doing is counter productive to the idea of owning a mid size/mini truck.

You could use an isuzu 12 bolt rear and an 8 inch toyota mini truck front axle w/ aftermarket shafts keep the correct width and have a stronger setup.

The 14bsf is a good axle but is still a c-clip axle which is a huge downfall vs the isuzu setup.

The dana 44 isnt really considered a hot item w/ fullsize guys. While yes it is better than IFS and the truck is a little lighter than a fullsize the axle isnt considered reliable with tires bigger than 35s.

If you're gonna go full width axles I say go all the way and get a dana 60 front an 14b full floater rear. Any other combo and you're basically adding all that width just to come out with a setup thats the same strength as a toyota front or bronco dana 44 front thats the correct width.

O and just to add you can never suck the width back in all the way with wheel backspacing. Anything more than 4in and you start hitting the steering arms.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Depending on your type of wheeling and your powertrain a D44 can handle a 37 no problem, especially built up but your right, if your going full width you might as well step up to the D60's and a 14BFF but even his current setup (especially for the price) will work. You can suck the wheels under more than that picture is what I was getting at, and if you use a large diameter wheel you could do even more but that becomes $$. You could also use the wagoneer D44 for the front which would be the right width. His question was if it could work, not what is best.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Well said but good info from both. Ive heard but don't quote me oppinion's are like butt holes everyone's got one LOL... You guys are both right in your own way..I am not fond of the semi float 14 bolt myself. But once mounted and everything readjusted drive lines springs etc... Stearing kinda need that.. You can always swap out to something mo betta..

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
very true. The semi float isn't a sought after axle but it's sitll pretty strong. The Silverado SS's and VHO's use it when they went to 2wd and they stand up to some major power in those trucks (not stock power obviously). C-Clips do suck because if yu bust an axle or explode your diff then an axle will come right out, ask me how I know:

Stock 8.5 10-bolt, I rebuilt it using better parts and never had another issue with it. And not sure about the 9.5 14bolt but you can get c-clip eliminators for alot of axles

1 - 20 of 26 Posts