Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a glance, it appears to me that my heads are cracked between the valves.

I have been in touch with the owner at time of failure. He said it blew a hose (or something) and overheated. I didn't see any obvious places the head gaskets blew, but there was water in the oil and a cylinder.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
You sure those are cracks and not just casting marks ?

It looks like there IS a big crack in the head itself, between 4 and 5 oclock in this pic.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was wondering, if it might be a normal pattern. There is an aluminum head shop in Portland that I could take them to. Or maybe I should just cut my losses on this car...

The EA81 Turbo engines are not very common. I don't think that crack is from the turbo side of the engine. I think the opposite side is a standard EA81 head, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selador AKA Tat said:
You sure those are cracks and not just casting marks ?
A response on a subaru forum said the "crack" between the valve is probably not to be worried about. Said that all the heads he's seen look like that. Doesn't look like that crack goes into the valve seat.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selador AKA Tat said:
It looks like there IS a big crack in the head itself, between 4 and 5 oclock in this pic.

Seems you might be on to something. That is the cylinder that seemed to have coolant in it.

Looks like these are off to an aluminum head shop, see if they're still serviceable.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That "crack" rubbed off. It was nothing.

After some discussion on the subaru board, I've decided to gasket-slap it and see how long it lasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.