Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this friend of mine always brings me his Land Rover whenever it needs work. BUT, he lost his brakes totally and had to have some shop fix it. They raped him for over 800 bucks to rebuild the rear calipers, replace the rear pads and replace the master cylinder. So, he gets it to me to replace O2 sensors so it will pass emissions. As I'm out test driving, the %$^ing brakes lock-up on me as I'm trying to get on the freeway. I had to call my wife to bring me some tools. I had to crack a line loose at the MC to get the brakes to release. As soon as I loosened the line, I could feel the brakes let loose. I limp it back to my house. Its going back to that shop for warranty work. The Mc also looks weird now. Like it's tilted. I don't remember it being like that before.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
CatFuzz said:
So, this friend of mine always brings me his Land Rover whenever it needs work. BUT, he lost his brakes totally and had to have some shop fix it. They raped him for over 800 bucks to rebuild the rear calipers, replace the rear pads and replace the master cylinder. So, he gets it to me to replace O2 sensors so it will pass emissions. As I'm out test driving, the %$^ing brakes lock-up on me as I'm trying to get on the freeway. I had to call my wife to bring me some tools. I had to crack a line loose at the MC to get the brakes to release. As soon as I loosened the line, I could feel the brakes let loose. I limp it back to my house. Its going back to that shop for warranty work. The Mc also looks weird now. Like it's tilted. I don't remember it being like that before.
If the mc is crooked, look to see if the shaft is bent, craked, or completely broken.

Any of those could cause the shaft to 'stick', in the in position, a bit. Causing exactly the problem you had.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
CatFuzz said:
its better to do your own work then the shop :idea:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been working on this freak-show on and off for 5 years now. I just now realized that the danged brake lights don't work unless the key is on. Is there any other car on the planet that is wired this way? NO! Friggin' Brits just gotta be different! :p

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
CatFuzz said:
I've been working on this freak-show on and off for 5 years now. I just now realized that the danged brake lights don't work unless the key is on. Is there any other car on the planet that is wired this way? NO! Friggin' Brits just gotta be different! :p
Hail Lucas, prince of darkness.

·
Registered
484 Posts
stusvend said:
CatFuzz said:
Hail Lucas, prince of darkness.
Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas makes their refrigerators!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know what the problem is. It's a Land Rover. Those things are about the most unreliable things to roam the earth (from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's). You will never be done fixing problems on that car, as they have faults with almost every system. I would rather own and drive a Yugo, if that says anything.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Before I really knew how to work on my truck I experienced a similiar situation with a shop when I took it in to have the rear brake pads replaced. I took it in to midas to have my pads changed, one of my rotors resurfaced, a torsion bar adjustment, and an alignment. Guess how much they qouted me..... $995 :eek: !! That motivated me to fix the problem myself, and guess what.. I did.. for $945 cheaper than what they were going to charge me.

In return I left them a very poor yet mature review on their website. I was instantly flamed by it's employees and loyal customers for being a "stupid *******" having a "junk car" and that "I didn't know how a mechanic shop worked". Shortly after the store owner contacted me expressing his sincerest apologies :roll: .

·
Registered
484 Posts
I tend to avoid chain shops like the plague. The properly (and honestly) managed shops more the exception than the rule. I've found a few independent shops in town that are are reasonable and a surprising one is the Toyota dealer with regard to Toyota's :shock: I had an 88 Supra and they were one the lowest of the 3 places I call to replace a water pump.

I think what' really important is finding a place or two that works on a variety of vehicles and is willing to build a rapport with customer. And you need to do this BEFORE you really need them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just remember lads that early Land Rovers were positive earth as well ;)

Also Lucas went bankrupt a couple of years ago ... some things were great ... however a lot of things by Lucas were $h1te! No wonder they went under.

Don't think Lucas ever made refrigerators ;)

As for warm beer you can keep it ... only real ales should be served slightly warmer than Lagers (I.e. Budweiser) but still lower than room temperature.

Funny to read that even in the US that Green Oval's are looked down on by everyone else as much as they are here in the UK :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Rhanagar said:
Just remember lads that early Land Rovers were positive earth as well ;)

Also Lucas went bankrupt a couple of years ago ... some things were great ... however a lot of things by Lucas were $h1te! No wonder they went under.

Don't think Lucas ever made refrigerators ;)

As for warm beer you can keep it ... only real ales should be served slightly warmer than Lagers (I.e. Budweiser) but still lower than room temperature.

Funny to read that even in the US that Green Oval's are looked down on by everyone else as much as they are here in the UK :D
Hey, no offense intended. There is an unwritten rule over here that only owners of British Cars can joke about them. I used to own a '77 Triumph spitfire, and to Lucas' credit, it's ORIGINAL electronic ignition never let me down the 7 years I owned the car. I'm a member of the British Motoring Club of Arkansas - yes, we even have a Jaguar and LR dealership here in Arkansas (above and to the right of Texas :wink: ) For all the jokes many of us make, we still love the designs from your country. (though, the execution has been iffy at times :mrgreen: )

Me: "Do you notice the foot-wells in your Spitfire getting warm?"
Fellow BMCA member: "No, but why aren't you wearing your asbestos leggings?"

(and for the record, I'd take a LR90 in a heartbeat)

·
Registered
297 Posts
No offense taken buddy I am all for banter ;)

I like the icon of Green Ovals (i.e. The old series A and Defenders ... even the original Range Rover Overfinch :twisted: ), but also know that British cars went through a deplorable downturn in the 70'-80's ... way too embarrasing to speak of. There were some good ones but a lot of them were ruined by either bad build quality, poor raw marterials, cost cutting and the recession.

Some Good Examples:

Land Rover Series 1 (come off it I know the Willeys jeep was the first of its kind, but Land Rover opened it to Joe Public)

MBG GT (also available with the 3.5 Litre Rover (Buick) V8

Jaguar XJ220 (First ever production car in the world to acheive 200mph)

Lotus Esprit Turbo (170mph ... not bad for a 2.2 litre four pot engine)

Aston Martin Vantage Volante (A truely awesome vehicle)

Austin Mini (Who can forget this one ... only ruined by the BMW peice of $h!tE that it is now)

Some Bad Examples:

Austin Princess (Urrrgh)

Morris Marina (Urrrgh)

Austin Maxi (Urrrgh)

Reliant Robin (Urrrgh ... yes it only has 3 wheels)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The reliant robin segment is my favorite one to ever be on Top Gear. The first time I saw Jeremy roll that sucker on that first turn, I nearly died laughing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Two of my favorite cars are on that list. The XJ220 was my bedroom wall poster car when I was a little kid, and I think it is one of the best looking cars ever made. The other is the Aston Vantage. I love that generation and the late 90's twin supercharged versions. They are just so muscle car in looks and power.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you see the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle Top Gear episode ... inspirational.

As for The Aston ... each engine for that model was assembled by hand. The superchargers were ripped directly off the current Benneton Formula One car of that era. The engines themselves had a plate with the assemblers signature on. Learnt that speaking to the top engine assembler at the British Motor Show.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Rhanagar said:
Some Bad Examples:

Austin Princess (Urrrgh)
Morris Marina (Urrrgh)
Austin Maxi (Urrrgh)
Why were so many cars in the 70's painted baby shyte yellow, from the factory ?

A lot of japanese cars were, as well.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
We've had our fair share of hideous vehicles as well. Technically we can't be held responsible for the Fiat on this list, but the others are definitely our fault.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/773102/posts

When are car manufacturers going to learn that people don't like driving a car that looks like an egg?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Rhanagar said:
Did you see the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle Top Gear episode ... inspirational.

As for The Aston ... each engine for that model was assembled by hand. The superchargers were ripped directly off the current Benneton Formula One car of that era. The engines themselves had a plate with the assemblers signature on. Learnt that speaking to the top engine assembler at the British Motor Show.
That was hysterical! (shame about the landing :lol: )

I love the Mr Bean episodes where he causes a Robin (that someone else is driving) to roll. :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
There is a Motor Museum called "Beaulieu" near Southampton in the UK that has the spare "Robin Shuttle" they built ... it was such a shame that the rocket pack didn't disengage ... it would of been brilliant if it worked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts