Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER do business with coparts. By this time I'm sure you've all seen my thread about my stolen passport. Well insurance company decided to repair it, everything but most of my personal property, and no sub and amp, but everything else. So I got it all squared away we have a car toys out here that has agreed to do all the work. It was released yesterday and was supposed to be delivered today. Guess what? Never showed up, and now it appears to be missing and they won't do crap about it until Tuesday because they have their weekend and MLK day. That's at the earliest. I've only got like a week and ahalf left on the rental. At this rate I'll have to pay for a week on the damn thing myself.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I had a '95 Suburban years ago that got rear-ended at 80 mph by a stupid kid in a Topaz while my wife was driving it...totaled the burb', so the kid's insurance company had it towed (without my permission) to their "storage lot" where it sat for 2 months while I negotiated the settlement, despite having asked them to tow it to my home, in writing. Long story short, after they finally agreed to my counter-offer, they sent me a "storage bill" for $3800, which, by coincidence I'm sure, was the exact amount the new motor and tranny I'd put into it 6 months previously were estimated to be worth. I took them to small claims court and raped 'em. Judge awarded me $5k plus costs and fees.

My point is that, small claims court can be a wonderfully effective deterrent to businesses that take advantage of their customers. If you can't get them to be fair and reasonable, threaten them with small claims court. Just make sure you're willing to back the threat with action.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I've got a real tow yard horror story for you! Years ago my brother was driving back from Kansas to Iowa with some fireworks. Fireworks are of course illegal in Iowa. He gets stopped on the interstate in southern Iowa and they took him to jail and had his car towed. Pat was in jail for a few days rather then pay a fine, maybe a week...don't recall. We drove down to pick him up and find out where his vehicle had been towed. We go to the salvage yard and the first thing we see when we arrive is the front clip off his car sitting inside the fenced in yard. They had scrapped his car! I wish I were kidding but I'm serious.
The car was a super clean Rambler, V8, automatic, etc. The owner of the salvage yard said "sue me, it will take you months to see a dime or you can accept X amount of dollars and forget it" Sadly, Pat lived in Kansas and didn't have the time or money to pursue legal action so he took the money.
This was probably 25-30 years ago but I still remember it as unbelievable, the car may have been impounded two weeks tops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts