Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello planetisuzoo, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am searching for help in tracking down a problem with my Trooper, which is an 88 2.6L manual w/ 207K miles. It recently began stumbling under acceleration. When it stumbles the truck shudders very hard, but it stops as soon as I let up on the gas. The only thing I have checked to this point is the fuel filter, which was fine, but I'm not certain if this is a fuel system problem, spark problem, etc. Before I start tearing into gas tanks or anything else, I would like a better idea of where to start. I did a couple of searches, but it's hard to come up with a good keyword to search with. Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
In my experience, you might be due for a cap & rotor. Make sure that the inside of the cap doesn't say ITALY. Those just don't last anywhere near as long as the other aftermarket caps. Sam (The Isuzu Man) swears by Isuzu brand caps, but I've had those fail just as much as the cheapies from Japan, they just cost a lot more.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
There are many things that would cause your symptom. You need to go systematically through your tune up parts: Wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, check your vaccum hoses, when was the last time you adjusted your valves (it calls for every 15,000 miles).

I'd just give it a good tune up and see where you are after that. Mine had a big hole in the underside of the intake tube which when fixed made a big difference in the idle quality.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Yea, what he said :)

I had that hole on 2 (of the 3) 2.6s that I worked on. Right above the valce cover.

Adjusting the valves is a great idea.

There should be a vacuum hose diagram under the hood. Check that, and replace any hoses that feel week or brittle.

-Tad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone who replied earlier. I have done a basic tuneup as suggested with no improvement. However, one thing I have noticed is that the problem is worse when my gas tank is full; as the tank gets down to around half-empty, it stumbles with much less frequency. Does this give anyone any more clues? I'm still scratching my head...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.