Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my indy4x lift shackles in today for my trooper. Man those things looks beastly! I had to dremel out the holes so the bolts could easily fit in. Now I am in the process of taking my stock shackles off. After about 20 minutes, a lot of PB blaster, and a lot of hammering a wrench, I finally got the nuts off. Now I'm stuck. The bolts seem to be welded to the shackle itself..... A metal cutting tool is one thing I am short of. Is there any way around this? I know many have had to do the same thing when they installed their new shackles. Please tell me the secret! :D

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Some people burn the rubber out with a torch.

Some people drill the rubber out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Agreed.. A torch or a drill is the usual way its done. Had the same issue with the springs on the front axle of a Kenworth. Used the torch method on that also.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The stock pieces are not bolts and plate steel. You have two pieces of steel and two studs. One stud is welded to one side the other stud is welded to the other side.

Just get a hammer and beat the crap out of it. Or cut it with a sawzall and knock the stud out. Go ahead and get new rubber bushings to install when you put your shackles on. Your stock bushings will more than likely be shot.

Joe

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
The stock pieces are not bolts and plate steel. You have two pieces of steel and two studs. One stud is welded to one side the other stud is welded to the other side.

Just get a hammer and beat the crap out of it. Or cut it with a sawzall and knock the stud out. Go ahead and get new rubber bushings to install when you put your shackles on. Your stock bushings will more than likely be shot.

Joe
Yes that is exactly what I'm looking at. I don't see any other way of getting the shackle off other than having to saw it off. I'll have to wait another day to do that as I don't have a sawblade fit for it. My bushings definitely need replacing, I should've ordered them along with the shackles :x . Would autozone or any place like that carry a bushing set that would work?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I got my replacements from Advance Auto, so maybe Autozone would have it.

Get the propane torch out (just make sure you are careful around the gas tank) and burn them out.

Joe

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked with both Autozone and Advance auto, they don't have any bushings. Ahhhhh. Now I feel like a dumbass :x , shoulda ordered the bushings along with the shackles. I obtained some new sawzall blades and everything is cut off. The new shackles are ready to go on. The bushing are the only thing holding me back from finishing. Looks like i'll be without a car for a few days. :p

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
yea.... when I do projects like this I always replace everything I take apart... not worth the effort to take it apart and then have to do it all again for the bushings.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I got my bushings at napa

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did the same thing didn't order bushings right away and found out I had to torch to get the old ones to come apart. Only I made my shackles so the $40 bushings weren't so bad after only investing $12 for shackles.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The problem your facing is that the original bushing has a 3/4" hole and that is what you are going to get when you order new bushing wether poly or rubber and the shackles are made for a 1/2" bolt. Ind. 4X will supply the steel tubing for a bushing if you order polys from them. You can also go to a steel supplier and buy tubing that is nearly perfect fit 3/4 OD x 1/2 ID. The other alternative may be a truck shop that might have a rolled bushing, like for a large shock or some thing. Good luck DAVE

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
outofrshell said:
The problem your facing is that the original bushing has a 3/4" hole and that is what you are going to get when you order new bushing wether poly or rubber and the shackles are made for a 1/2" bolt. Ind. 4X will supply the steel tubing for a bushing if you order polys from them.
i found the opposite to be. when i put polys in my leafs (rear hangers) was the bolt was so large in diameter i had to use my impact gun to spin the bolt through the bushings. idk what bolts are included with Indys kit, but the ones i got had MONSTEROUS bolts.

what happens with the shackles and bushings is called "Rust jacketing". the metal hangers rust up causing scaling of the metal and expansion taking up any room for the bushings to move freely. now the bushings swell also from the pressure of the rusting hangers, causing it to tighten in the leafs and frame sections making in it nearly impossible to remove without melting the rubber or drilling out some rubber to allow the pressure to be released. I know Jerry Lemond has the OEM bushings, as i just sent him a full set i got in my last inventory purchase. see what he can do for you. Energy suspension makes a kit but its about 40.00 and they WILL squeak after time....

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I've seen moog bushing for a great price on ebay before.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The correct bolts are 18mm. I used 3/4" and drilled the bushing out just a hair.

Much cheaper.

Joe

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
The correct bolts are 18mm. I used 3/4" and drilled the bushing out just a hair.

Much cheaper.

Joe
Exactly what I did. 8) I got my bushing in today from indy4x. Had to drill them out a little bit for the massive bolts to fit through. Even the nuts that came with them won't screw all the way on those things!

But I got it all installed. It's lifted approximately 2" over stock height now (I also have 1" add-a-leafs), maybe a little more. Now I just can't wait to get my new wheels and tires this weekend from Lowzone :D . I'll be sure to get some pictures up when I do.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
looking forward to getting them to you and getting out of NJ for even the day!!! its pouring here and the RS is in the garage....coming apart tomorrow. no work, so its all play tomorrow :)

looks like ill be seeing Shabba (Colin) the prior owner of the RS and im picking up the light bar from him. Star, ill have it with me, if youre interested!! ;)
i have no idea what condition its in....then im off to Hickory to meet up with Ruination and TKEPA251 for other part sales...OY! its going to be a busy weekend!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i'll definitely take a look at that light bar. I've always wanted one. I'm hoping it's the "rota" style bar, I know how much wind drag those things can make if they can't rotate down. I also frequently carry surfboards on top of the trooper, idk if a 9' longboard would clear over the lights if they can't rotate. We'll see this weekend though!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts

only pictures i have of it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.