Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was on a trail with my 92 Isuzu 4x4 pickup and while i was climbing up a hill it just randomly died.

Would crank but not start, so towed it back to the house and tinkered around a bit and figured it was the injectors.

Order 2 new injectors and seals. Replaced them and it seems that was not the case as it was not spraying fuel into the TB.

Next we jumped the injectors by connecting them directly to the battery and they sprayed a full blast and the truck turned over but didnt stay running. (now we know injectors are getting fuel and working)

Next up we figured it must be the ignition control chip, so i picked up a new one and still nothing.

We check and it is getting spark, so its not the distributor. There seems to be an issue with something that its not sparying fuel unless its connected direct to the battery and then its spraying at full blast.

Anybody have any advice? Im kinda out of ideas

here's a pick of my truck it died right as this photo was taken!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel pump is fine. The fact the injectors are flowing fuel when being jumpped would say fuel is good. I also cranked it and blew fuel all over my buddy who was checking it opps lol

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Basic ignition fuel ,spark and air.... It died for some reason !! Steep hill tells me possibly had trouble picking up and pushing fuel. Unless it was coincidence ... Maybe you cooked your injectors putting the 12 volts to them..

·
Registered
894 Posts
You sure you have good fuel flow? On my 99 Trooper the fuel pump is energized off the battery when the key is first turned to "on" and for a few more seconds. After that it switches over and runs off the alternator. If the alternator doesn't make the switch the fuel flow will stop.

Could be your rig has the same alternator/fuel pump power setup???

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

I just solved a similar problem with my 99 3.2 It had great fuel pressure but the injectors would not cycle.

Here is what I learned.

If you put the key in run and do not get close to battery voltage from one of the two wires that power the injector you will not get it to cycle no matter if your computer is good and you have fuel pressure. The other wire is a control wire that the computer drops ground in and out to cycle the injector.

My truck had a wire that had worn through on the frame and each time the truck was run it leaked voltage and disintegrated the wire through galvanic corrosion.

Skip to the last page of my post "Runs with starter fluid..." and you will see pictures of the ground fault I finally found after months and months of searching for the culprit.

I know your's is not the same year or model, but my running truck just failed to start all of sudden like yours.

Look for any place a wire could rub on the frame and flip the harnesses over and look for tell tale green corrosion from copper wire shorting.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Wow !!! Crazy thing !!! I bet that was fun to figure out... Glad you got it fixed !! Thanks for letting us know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts