Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started today. When I press down on the gas I can hear a sound very similar to putting a playing card in between bicycle spokes. When I coast and idle I don't hear it. Happens upon reversing also. It's not super loud; I can hear it better with the windows rolled up, and it sounds like it's on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
My money is on a heat shield rattle.

Been there done that, cut it off.

Joe

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Climb under it, they are everywhere. The ones that gave me the rattling were on the passenger side on the down pipes.

Joe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No dice. I couldn't get a single thing to rattle and nothing was loose. I'm going to have to have someone give it gas and hold down the brake while in drive so I can get under and listen for the rattle, since it doesn't do it when idling.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I'm going to have to have someone give it gas and hold down the brake while in drive so I can get under and listen for the rattle, since it doesn't do it when idling.
I would strongly suggest against this.

If you need to do that at least put the rear end up on jackstands before you do something like that. You could also have an exhaust leak. A typical exhaust leak sounds like a tapping.

Be careful

Joe

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm going to have to have someone give it gas and hold down the brake while in drive so I can get under and listen for the rattle, since it doesn't do it when idling.
uh- yea, don't do that...

·
Registered
327 Posts
drudiggy said:
Well I can't hear the sound with the rear jacked up and accelerating. Does this indicate something, with it only occuring when in gear and accelerating, and under load?
Check out the flex pipe. When mine went it sounded exactly like a card flapping in bicycle spokes and I could only hear it when the vehicle was moving (weird :? ). You may not even notice anything wrong since the braiding may not be completely ripped open.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This might sound dumb. But if it is more of a slight rattleing noise and
just happens for like a half a second when he hits the gas maybe it is
preignition. That noise can be very prevelant when you jam on the pedal.

Read my post on the timing rattle "preignition" problem I had.

A very good example of what it sounds like is a diesel motor sound.
Higher pitched maybe.

Any one who had a 80's GM V8 should know exactally what I am talking
about.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Solved the problem. It was the outside-threaded nut that attaches the EGR vacuum pipe to the underside of the EGR bracket. It vibrated completely off. Re-tightened and everything seems smooth again.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
That's the second time I have heard of this happening. That's odd. Everytime I've had to mess with mine it's been rediculously tight.

Joe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only guess is that I didn't tighten it enough when I finished my IM gasket replacement, although even then I still tightened the crap out of it. I live along a 3-year road construction project, so I don't doubt that the daily bumps and jolts around here could've eventually knocked it loose. As a matter of fact, the first time I heard the noise was right after I hit a hard dip in the road, so that probably sealed (un-sealed :lol: ) the deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.