Isuzu SUV Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Pickup 4WD 2.6 5sp
150 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build! I'm considering a crate 4ZE1 as well and this was great to read. Do you have any updates on mileage? How's the motor doing? Did you notice any performance improvements? Cheers!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Thanks for sharing your build! I'm considering a crate 4ZE1 as well and this was great to read. Do you have any updates on mileage? How's the motor doing? Did you notice any performance improvements? Cheers!
Hi,
So far the new motor is working out great. On the highway I get around or over 20 usually. It runs nice.

As for performance, hard to say. The previous motor was in bad shape. But I will say this one is peppy and starts well. Currently it is snowed in but I still start it every few days just to keep things lubricated. It always fires right up.

Keep us posted on what you do. Another build thread is always welcome.

Happy new year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Good to see you are still around! Been awhile. I am currently at my daughters in England. Making sure to miss out on that snow. Leaving for northern Scotland at the end of the week. I got my 2000 all done and put 3000 miles during breakin, covered 5 states. Going to Moab the 1st of April. Ya know Troopers in fact like to beat thru snow!
Dick

·
Registered
56 Posts
It was actually some of your posts and advice that made look hard at this motor before going the crate motor route. The knock "sounded" like a rod knock but not as loud and not as consistent. Maybe it was the crank at specific rpms.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Dennis. Hope your new year is treating you well.
I know this is an old thread but I had a similar issue that sounded like a rod knock but turned out to be a loose crankshaft bolt that allowed the key to beat its way up around every revolution of the cam. This caused the lower cam gear to "thunk" like a rod knock. Seems some mechanic over tightened the crank bolt and stripped it,,so it came loose on the road at an intersection,,and dumped pullies and belts in the middle of the road. (My girlfriend driving) had to go rescue her.. (it's actually her trooper) but after 20 years together I kinda adopted it. I had to make a special key to fill the void it left and find a longer bolt and nut to catch some threads deeper down..I spot welded the cut off bolt to the crankshaft and used a nut...all hardened steel.. been working great for over 5 years now..and no knock. It's worth checking on this I have heard others have a similar story.

Chuck

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wish there was a sticky on seat upgrades so PLEASE do a write up if you swap them out. I saw where one guy used Volvo seats and there a few volvos at our local pick a part. I really want to know what fits before I go drop coin on ones that don't. Yes being lazy and letting others blaze the trail Lol.
Yes, I request the same! It would be a great sticky about seats

101 - 106 of 106 Posts