Isuzu SUV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For tint look into ceramic tints. A couple buddies in another forum were talking about them and said the amount of heat they keep out is incredible, even without being dark. One guy tinted his entire front windshield at a level that isn't even noticeable to the casual observer. He said it's amazing because you can see out of it just fine, but it keeps something like 85% of the heat out. That's the direction I'm going when I get around to it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Wow! Many changes since I last checked. Are you sure you will off road that beautiful Trooper?
I had a great time in Green River UT and then to Montrose CO. Put almost 2000 miles on mine in a
Little over a week. Make sure you readjust your valves and retorque the head after your breakin.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. It has been quite a project but I am happy with my rig. It drives great.

Enemigo- no, I added the pinstripe. It was just one of the $5 rolls of vinyl pinstripe from o-reilleys. First time for everything!

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,195 Posts
BoiseTrooper said:
Alan,

Unfortunately no. I simply ran out of time and had to put the originals back in. I don't like them but they work.

I made it on my first extended trip to my cabin! It ran great! The first long cruise is always nerve-wracking.

Troop Dawg was happy too.

View attachment 1
Man, that is beautiful. My dream that I never accomplished was to have a remote place to go such as your cabin. I picked a career ( aircraft mechanic) that demands big city living. I was able to retire to a lake for 6 years and that was as close as I got to remote living. I hate big cities with there high taxes, crime and disfunctional people who think big government is the answer to everyone's problems. And I had a Golden Retriever that if you were to throw a stick anywhere (water, didn't matter) he was gone. It's bred in to them to retrieve. Beautiful dog. As to those seats, I've placed seats in 2 Isuzu's that came out of other cars. Just make sure the measurements are correct, and then you'll have to make some parts to make them work. Doable but as you've learned, it's time consuming.

Reactions: BoiseTrooper

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
itsmehb said:
BoiseTrooper said:
Alan,

Unfortunately no. I simply ran out of time and had to put the originals back in. I don't like them but they work.

I made it on my first extended trip to my cabin! It ran great! The first long cruise is always nerve-wracking.

Troop Dawg was happy too.

View attachment 1
Man, that is beautiful. My dream that I never accomplished was to have a remote place to go such as your cabin. I picked a career ( aircraft mechanic) that demands big city living. I was able to retire to a lake for 6 years and that was as close as I got to remote living. I hate big cities with there high taxes, crime and disfunctional people who think big government is the answer to everyone's problems. And I had a Golden Retriever that if you were to throw a stick anywhere (water, didn't matter) he was gone. It's bred in to them to retrieve. Beautiful dog. As to those seats, I've placed seats in 2 Isuzu's that came out of other cars. Just make sure the measurements are correct, and then you'll have to make some parts to make them work. Doable but as you've learned, it's time consuming.
I hear ya! We built the cabin ourselves (mom, dad and my brother) to have a place to get out of the city. The nice thing is there are no payments or mortgage. But it did take 5 years of weekends and lots of work to build. I come from a farming/construction background so we could do the work ourselves.

Speaking of moving, it looks like I am in the same boat again. Since I am going through a divorce, I have to sell my house and shop. Boise is growing at ridiculous pace and I simply don't think I can afford to live here anymore. That's ok though, it has changed a lot in the 20 years I have been here. Seems politically, there are only extremes. The gun nuts who storm the capitol building or the ultra liberal californians moving in that want to regulate everything. It used to be that most people were in the middle ground and it just wasn't that big of a deal. Not so much lately.

Today I am planning on re-torquing the head and adjusting the valves. I have about 800 miles on the new motor. It is going to suck having to give up the 2-post lift, but if I built this shop, I can build another (hopefully bigger!) I finally built the shop I always wanted to restore my Chevelle and ended up restoring an Isuzu and then having to sell it. Life can pivot on you pretty fast when you least expect it. Funny how that works. Also needed is reinstalling the EGR tube bracket but I am dreading it. The one bracket I overlooked just HAD to be the bracket attached to the worst bolt on the entire truck! (top bolt of the transmission housing). Sheesh! Oh well. Just nuts and bolts...just nuts and bolts...

I am thinking hard about a move to Minnesota. Maybe something with a dock? Not sure. Hard to know what to play when you don't know what cards you are even holding, eh?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oof. Good day and bad day.

The good: I readjusted the valves and retorqued the head. The head looked great and was nice and clean. Well oiled too. I did the .008 on the intake and .01 on the exhaust. It takes less time than you think. Also, for those who don't think you need to retighten the head, I had about 800 miles and some of the bolts took almost a 1/4 swing of my torque wrench to reach spec. Do it.
head.jpg

The bad: I spent about 6 hours today eff-ing around with those damn bellhousing bolts. I am absolutely certain that the factory did them on the assembly line and then lowered the body down on top of them. So maddening. I don't know if I bent my EGR tube at some point, or if the replacement block was just a slightly different size or what, but the egr bracket was at least 1/2 inch off. No way it was going to line up. Then I tried to put the bolt back in and can't get it tight. Either I cross-threaded it (which I don't think) or I can't get enough access to it to compress the clutch plate springs or the bolt is too long and is bottoming out. I might try a shorter one later. I finally threw my tools down in disgust and admitted defeat. Ol Thunderbolt will just have to ride the way it is for now. It is frustrating for sure, but considering I found 3 different sizes of bolts holding it on when I took it apart, I am hopeful it holds together.

Also took a look at the spark plug. Looked ok to me. Any spark gurus see any concerns?
spark plug.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well fellas, I think Thunderbolt is done (at least for now.) Got all the bolts tight (fingers crossed) . Runs good. Looks good. Now I hope to put thousands of miles on it.

I want to thank everyone for the encouragement and advice. It has really meant a lot to me.

Took a few glamour shots just because...

IMG-8961.jpg

IMG-8956.jpg

IMG-8960.jpg

IMG-8957.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Funny we did the same in a different part of the country. Old house on family land leased to a hunt club. Brothers and I meet there occasionally to have fun. Middle of nowhere, love it. Put about 800 miles on the troop and it ran like a top. Still hot as hades though. Failed ,my first mud hole. You will have to go to my thread if you want to see that debacle

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
giusedtobe said:
Funny we did the same in a different part of the country. Old house on family land leased to a hunt club. Brothers and I meet there occasionally to have fun. Middle of nowhere, love it. Put about 800 miles on the troop and it ran like a top. Still hot as hades though. Failed ,my first mud hole. You will have to go to my thread if you want to see that debacle
That is great! Yours looks as good with mud on it sitting at the lake as mine does all waxed up in my front yard.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It has been great watching your build, even better was getting to know you personally! I hope this truck performs for years to come!
Did I mention I bought a 2000 Trooper?

81 - 100 of 100 Posts