Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very nice stuff you're doing here! It'll be interesting to see how the process of installing a brand new engine goes!

I plan on installing some extra sound deadener/insulation in my trooper at one point, Since i have the headliner out, i figure might as well give it some better insulation. thing was a rolling sauna when it was on the road, heat radiating into the cabin from the engine bay, heat from the sun beaming off the roof skin, that combined with the large windows made summers especially annoying.
Other than the fact that the cutoffs stick to everything, you got any other caveats for installing this stuff? be nice to know what i'll be getting into.

Troopers *DO* rust there. Found that out the hard way.
My bodywork teachers say workshop manuals used to tell you to pressure wash behind there every year. Not a bad thing to do, only take a couple minutes to blast away all that rubbish.

Here's hoping your project goes good, man! Seems like you've got your hands full right now.

Reactions: BoiseTrooper

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ouch, looks like you made the right call on buying that new engine. How many miles has it got on it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is this a california car? I know the trooper came with configurations that included more or less emissions equipment depending on what region it was being sent to, possibly alongside different ECU maps. (mine has AU written on it, so i speculate that's the reason why.)

From what i hear, the california model of this car is especially notorious for being the worst case of vacuum line spaghetti the trooper had to offer, and for having most the engine bay stuffed with emissions crap.

Aside from a charcoal canister, Mine has very little emissions equipment to speak of. no EGR, no smog pump, just a PCV valve(of course) and a charcoal canister.
IMG_20210217_170426[3].jpg

My head doesn't have the mounting holes, either. While i don't know if the EGR was removed or not when one of the previous 10 owners put in the calmini tri-Y's, i certainly do know that mine never came with a smog pump.

Here's hoping this helps clarify things.

(P.S double lip seals, much like ball bearings are a highly standardized item, you may either have to look for a number moulded into it and look that up, or take dimensions and reference them with a table.)

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've heard JLEMOND say those gaskets are for the 2wd oilpans and will leak if you put them on a trooper pan. He reckons RTV is the way to go with these things, and that's what i did with mine.

No leaks so far, only had trouble with the stupid gasket on my lower pan not sealing up right. probably because it's warped a bit or something.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The combined strength of around 6 or so high tensile bolts + the alignment pins should be far, far in excess of the loads they're going to face on the end of your engine. Torque em' to spec and you'll probably be okay. :wink:

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is a never a time with old cars when you are NOT hexing on some dastardly previous owner!

Some of the wires in my own car have been spliced more than 3 times, coming out the other end of each as a different colour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts