Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the pre-requisite search but didn't find what I was looking for...though I did like the cup holders and mini cargo nets that philp added to his UK rig!

I'm looking for storage solutions. I use my Trooper as a family wheeler, and usually camp overnight at/near our destination, so I'm packing alot of stuff whether it's a short or long duration trip.

I've considered a safari-style rack up top, but I have the OEM roof rack which is capable, I suppose, of carrying small loads. One option is to find low profile plastic storage totes and strap them on the rack. Another option is the reciever-hitch carrying tray, but loaded up, that would inhibit use of the rear doors plus it kills departure angles.

Has anyone used a permanent or semi-permanent sliding drawer system, such as this? This setup has it's pros and cons, but I'm really looking for ideas.

·
Registered
825 Posts
well... i have an example of someone doing it.... My stepfather owns and runs a small 1-3 man pool/spa business... He has a dodge 3500 cummins dually with the tool-box bed and a custom canopy... The floor of the box-bed is "raised" about 6 inches(plyboard)... and very long pullout drawers are below the raised floow... they pull out like 8 feet, lots of little compartments in them to organize all the pcv fittings and joints and such. He has also bolted several tool-boxes with drawers into the back.... the canopy offers plenty of places to hang things like cords and hoses... It's really a neat rig with lots of custom work done by him.

I have been thinking of doing something similar in my isuzu.... I want to have a drawer system and toolbox installed in the back, for tools and replacement parts and random stuff. I'd like it to be a small "shop-on-wheels."

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check some of the outfitters for hunting, contruction, etc. Cabello's (sp?) puts out some vehicle catalogs that offer a lot of storage/drawer type systems. Doubtful you can find any Isuzu-spec items out there, but something may work if you can find the measurements.

Also another cool thing I've seen... a friend of mine had a '95 Trooper and cut the rear tabs out of the ceiling trim in the cargo area, between the C and D-pillars to expose the bolts used overseas for grab handles (yep, they're there). He picked up a pair of rear seat grab handles out of a junkyard Troop and installed those so he can have a clothes-bar back there. Worked well.

I've often heard a legend that you can get a third-row bench from overseas, but I've never actually seen it. Anyone out there seen one?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I've built storage shelves in all of my Troopers:

Don't forget the stock under-seat storage in 2nd gen Troopers. If you remove the plastic liner it is almost twice as large.

I don't have a pic, but I built a shelf for the 94 Trooper too. It sits on top of the wheel wells on the sites. There is a partition in the middle and the back half has a port that hinges up to access less-used items. The front has drawer slides for a drawer that I haven't built yet.

Another benefit to a shelf is that it holds a CO2 tank tight against the side of the truck.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Cabela's carries some
I looked at those, wow they are pricy. There is one made of steel by tuffy that was in Fourwheeler Mag in the back of the Trailex and it's over 400.

Just too rich for my blood. That's money that could be spent in other areas on the truck. Wood will work well.

Joe

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Agreed. I was going to say that it looked pricey as $275 seemed like a lot to me. But then I am cheap.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I really liked the examples in the links above; I spent some time measuring and came up with this for the back of the trooper. With the rear seats just folded not raised it should align perfect to sleep on.

This image shows the two cabinets side by side. By making two, you will be able to remove one in case you need to carry something large:

Here is the drawer:

This is the section that covers the wheel well to make a flat area:

I really have not checked my math but I think it will work out ok. I will re-measure again once I get home today.

I checked the price for plywood yesterday and the ¾â€

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tad said:
I've built storage shelves in all of my Troopers:

Don't forget the stock under-seat storage in 2nd gen Troopers. If you remove the plastic liner it is almost twice as large.

I don't have a pic, but I built a shelf for the 94 Trooper too. It sits on top of the wheel wells on the sites. There is a partition in the middle and the back half has a port that hinges up to access less-used items. The front has drawer slides for a drawer that I haven't built yet.

Another benefit to a shelf is that it holds a CO2 tank tight against the side of the truck.

-Tad
I'm so taking my seat out tomorrow. I had no idea this was there!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You could get OSB to make most of it out of, much cheaper. Could even use it for the top then get some color matched carpet to put over it and make it look factory. For the drawer fronts you could buy a smaller peice of plywood or use OSB, a little bondo to make it smooth, then wrinkle finish black paint.
I think OSB is about the same as MDF(medium density fiberboard) right? That's what I used for my boxes. Much different design than what you're talking about. Aside from MDF weighing a ton :shock: , it's really easy to work with and finish. I routed the edges and puttied the joints, and sprayed them with a couple coats of Duplicolor spray on bed liner. It gave it a nice textured, durable finish.

Andre

·
Registered
447 Posts
I re-measured this weekend and made some minor changes to the diagrams. They should be correct now.

After looking at the different types of plywood sheets, I have settled on using OSB for the cabinet frames and CD plywood for the drawers. I will be covering the exterior of the cabinets with speaker cabinet carpet and painting the drawers to match.

Since the interior of the trooper is gray, the Rock-Woven color should match:

They will not be as nice as the cabinets in the picture but they will be functional. I should start on them after the thanksgiving holidays. Will post once they are complete.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.