Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Oddball hasn't had a roof on in over a year and the back seat is long gone. The need for security for my stuff is obvious.

I have been eyeballing the foot tub section of the back for some time and finally got a day that I could get to the welder dude and fab up this mod.

Framework mocked into place.

Skins in place...

Rearward shot...

Opened up...

Paint and a few more details to follow. To include that nasty bit of rust under SabreWife's seat...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to figure out a low profile lockable latch that will not scream out storage box. You can see the gaps in the last picture, as soon as I can find some 1/4 inch aluminum bar stock, I will make some spacers to support the hinge in between the bed "ribs". I have some gun case foam to put in their for padding and the threaded holes in the floor will probably be used to mount some additional hooks or other internal gear managers. I need to finish painting back there as well and have some new speakers to install.

The newly discovered rust issue has me concerned. It is under the passenger seat where the black box is and you can see daylight through it. I am open to suggestions on this, what is the proper response, cut it completely out and replace the whole floorpan or wire wheel it back to good metal and weld up the gap?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
If it's not holding a bolt you could fiberglass it. But if you have sheet & welder avail that's a better patch.

~psguardian

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
very nice job!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
psguardian said:
If it's not holding a bolt you could fiberglass it. But if you have sheet & welder avail that's a better patch.
Anybody have any experience with the "liquid steel" products?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I worked on it some more today trying to get it finished. I will post some finito photos when it is all done.

I have all sorts of fab ideas, just no fab skills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts