Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cruise control still works even after I turn it off. It has worked flawlessly up until tonight when I was cruising down the freeway at 65, and needed to pass someone, so I switched it off, and pressed on the gas, but it felt like there was a lot of resistance, but I didn't pay any mind until after I passed I realized it was still accelerating for quite a few seconds after I pulled my foot from the accelerator (just to let off, not braking or setting CC). It continued to do this, and if i floored it, it would stick, then snap back and feel normal if I was pushing on it enough to keep a steady speed, but it would get that resistance feeling if I tried to push hard enough to accelerate. It was scary because when I was shifting up from a stop at the exit, the gas pedal stuck and my rpm's shot sky high.

Needless to say I ended up getting pissed at my Rodeo. We are currently not friends.

Any insight? I hope that after sitting for a while it will "forget" about it, but there is a part of me who thinks that just isn't going to happen.

If any of the above makes no sense, I will try to explain it further.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It's possible that it's just the throttle (plate) itself - easy to clean with a can of TB cleaner and a rag, or maybe the throttle cable. There is a rubber boot at the end of the cable that may have deteriorated and is now sticking.

Check it before it really sticks and you have a real problem.

-Tad

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tad, I will do just that, I think it is the plate. I just went back out and it still had the resistance. Maybe I got mad at the cruise control for no reason at all.

I am going to clean this tomorrow.

For a minute I thought I was in a Toyota :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
This may sound foolish, but is that rubber bootie still on the cable? I had a sticking throttle too, but it was the bootie thingie that had become really soft and sticky. Once I took it off, no more throttle issues.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnnie59 said:
This may sound foolish, but is that rubber bootie still on the cable? I had a sticking throttle too, but it was the bootie thingie that had become really soft and sticky. Once I took it off, no more throttle issues.
I will check that as well. I would rather check everything to make sure I solved the problem then have the problem persist :x

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
johnnie59 said:
MY 4X4 did that too. it sucked the rubber boot in and gummed up the whole cable. had to get a new one. sucked!!

and that toyota comment :x i have 2 of them and no issues. NASA proved it wasnt the pedals :)

What are you a rocket scientist??? why yes, yes i am...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well following Tad and John's suggestion's, I am checking...

-Throttle Plate
-Rubber boot thingy

And I also want to check my throttle cable in the engine. Something may have gone haywire.

As for the Yota comment, I am a Honda guy :p except i love Toyota Pickups and 4 Runners :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Taylor, you may want to get some cable lube and douse your throttle and cruise control cables just for good measure.

Also Mopar>Toyota

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
This kinda happened to EL CHEAPO about 3 weeks ago! That little plastic dust boot at the end of the throttle cable (under the hood, of course) had melted considerably, leaving a REALLY sticky goo on the cable itself. WD40 and a rag took care of it, but it left me wondering: after 16 years, why NOW? lol!

·
Registered
676 Posts
CREEPER said:
This kinda happened to EL CHEAPO about 3 weeks ago! That little plastic dust boot at the end of the throttle cable (under the hood, of course) had melted considerably, leaving a REALLY sticky goo on the cable itself. WD40 and a rag took care of it, but it left me wondering: after 16 years, why NOW? lol!
I'd say 16 years is the "shelf life" of that rubber.

Or it was just its time to go. Such is life

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Tad said:
There is a rubber boot at the end of the cable that may have deteriorated and is now sticking.
-Tad
johnnie59 said:
lowzone said:
MY 4X4 did that too. it sucked the rubber boot in and gummed up the whole cable. had to get a new one. sucked!!
CREEPER said:
That little plastic dust boot at the end of the throttle cable (under the hood, of course) had melted considerably, leaving a REALLY sticky goo on the cable itself.
I'm really surprised no one else has mentioned this yet.

But you should check that little rubber boot at the end of the throttle cable housing.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Selador said:
Tad said:
There is a rubber boot at the end of the cable that may have deteriorated and is now sticking.
-Tad
johnnie59 said:
lowzone said:
CREEPER said:
That little plastic dust boot at the end of the throttle cable (under the hood, of course) had melted considerably, leaving a REALLY sticky goo on the cable itself.
I'm really surprised no one else has mentioned this yet.

But you should check that little rubber boot at the end of the throttle cable housing.
LMBO!!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol:

well at least i know it is a common problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The one time a rubber caused the problem...DOH!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FIXED

CABLE NEEDED CLEANED

CASE CLOSED! :D :D :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts