Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This suv is in perfect condition! Almost never any problems and only 2 very minor fender benders in the past 13 years. Specs: 4wd (almost always sits in 2H), Automatic, Everything Stock, 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (also sold as Honda Passports)

Yesterday I drove my girl and I to see the fireworks in downtown saint louis. Just a 30 min drive there and back, but noticed no problems. I carpooled with my friend to work and so only this evening got in my car to drive. This is where the problem begins...

1) From the second I turn the key I notice the first issue. It takes about TWICE if not 3 times as long to hold the key until the engine finally turns over and runs. In the last 3-4 weeks I've noticed it takes more time of me holding the key on start, before the engine actually runs (this issue bothered me when it first came up, but everything seemed to be fine so I just figured I'd wait and bring it up when I change my oil)

2) Once I put it in Drive, I press the gas and it feels so hard to press! The gas peddle wasn't pressed against the floor board, it feels like its in the same place it always sits, just acceleration definitely takes more effort to push than it has before.

3) Once I turned off my driveway and started going, I pressed the gas to accelerator but when I let off the gas the rpm's stayed at 3k and the car continued to accelerate up the hill, AS IF I WAS STILL HOLDING DOWN THE GAS! Freaked me out and took some considerable brake power to slow it down, noticed from here on out that almost whenever I would press the gas then let off, it would act as if I was still pressing and continue accelerating! This was pretty scary to drive around with!

4) Brake seems less responsive then before...nut only very slightly. I kind of feel this feeling of the brakes doing less work is due to #3, since the brake is fighting the engine accelerating.

Notes:
~ This started literally this evening, 4 hours ago when I got on my car.
~ Low on gas - Probably only have about 40 more miles to go till I clonk out completely.
~ only 1k miles over due for oil change
~ Held down brake and gas at same time the previous night - I wasnt paying attention and was in a huge line of cars in a parking garage, I didnt realize my left foot was on the brake when I slightly pressed the gas. Realized it about 1-2 seconds into it, the only thing I sensed for a little bit was a weird smell of something slightly burned, but it went away (could this have caused all these problems?)

Questions:
1) Is this the alternator? Battery? Signs an Oil change is desperately needed?
2) Did I cause this by pressing the Brake and Gas at the same time for 1-2 seconds?
3) What is this?! Is this expensive to fix? Should I just take it into a mechanic?
4) I've got a big trip planned friday, could this be fixed by then?
5) Am I endangering myself or other drivers by driving my Isuzu Rodeo?

Thanks! Please help, this needs to be fixed urgently

p.s - I forgot, I've heard of people jumping under SUV's and stealing parts from beneath them, could this have happened to me?
p.p.s - Prior to this evening, this guy ran GREAT! Very responsive gas pedal, great brakes, loved driving him!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm gonna bump this for the morning crowd by adding some more info...
1) Floor mat/rug is not getting stuck to the pedal or anything like that. I checked all around the pedal and felt nothing that could obstruct it.
2) Could this be a clogged Fuel Filter or maybe a bad Fuel Pump?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
before you do anything major, get a rag, pop your hood and wipe off/down the throttle control cable....these are the SAME exact symptoms I had on my 97 rodeo.

Makes one feel as if there's something seriously wrong...turned out to be dirt accumilated on the cable, cleaned it off 5-6mnths ago, haven't had a single issue since.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THIS IS IT EXACTLY! That little "boot" or wtvr you call it, that sits over the brass piece, melted as I was driving home July 4th, and stiffened over night. Tore off what remained of that little rubber boot, cleaned the throttle line covered in the black sticky stuff with a few paper towels and some WD-40 and BAM works like a charm! I'm thinking my alternator will be dying out soon, but atleast I now know my throttle is fine

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Good deal.

why do you think your alt is dying?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lately its been taking longer for the engine to turn over and start, and the only time I've done anything with it was 6 years ago! Gotta be time soon I figure

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Hopefully your fuel filter isn't 6yrs old??!!! That's BAD!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts