Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody investigated the possibility of R&P modification on IFS suspension of 2nd gen Rodeos/Axioms ? With higher lifts, the angle of the links is getting steep. I'd like to make a BJ flip to allow more wheel travel, but I am afraid of braking the R&P. May be, the R&P assembly can be lowered, like the crossmember ? Of may be the place where the links are attached to the wheels can be changed ? Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The ball joint flip is ok to do, i've done mine and haven't had any problems. Just be sure you don't use a longer shock in the front cause you'll pull the steering out of the rack.

As far as the "re-arranging" the tierods on top of the knuckle, that's a no-no, i heard someone tried it and had terrible bumpsteer.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
black98Rodeo said:
The ball joint flip is ok to do, i've done mine and haven't had any problems. Just be sure you don't use a longer shock in the front cause you'll pull the steering out of the rack.
This is the point. I want to have longer shocks and longer wheel travel. I cannot do that because I am afraid of braking R&P. I was thinking along the lines of lowering the R&P assembly.

As far as the "re-arranging" the tierods on top of the knuckle, that's a no-no, i heard someone tried it and had terrible bumpsteer.
yeah, this sounds not good.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
May work with spacers to drop r&p steering for straighter links. Wanted to do this mod along with drop diff brackets on my rodeo. Let me know if it works. :D

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jwood1016 said:
Hmmmm interesting theory about flipping the outer tie rod. What if you flipped it to the top of the spindle and then got an alignment????
As was mentioned before here and on 4x4wire, there are two problems:

1) There may be a strong bumpsteer.
2) JLEMOND once mentioned that the mod is not easy because the tie rod hole is tapered. You have to fill it in with metal and re-drill.

There may be another, easier solution. A "stepped" tie rod connection. I cannot draw what I mean but you can get the idea.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
holger said:
jwood1016 said:
Hmmmm interesting theory about flipping the outer tie rod. What if you flipped it to the top of the spindle and then got an alignment????
As was mentioned before here and on 4x4wire, there are two problems:

1) There may be a strong bumpsteer.
2) JLEMOND once mentioned that the mod is not easy because the tie rod hole is tapered. You have to fill it in with metal and re-drill.

There may be another, easier solution. A "stepped" tie rod connection. I cannot draw what I mean but you can get the idea.
If I am understanding what your saying then that would take major custom work. There is always the option of a steering box conversion but nobody has done that in a second gen and keep the ifs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.