Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy folks
I had a oil leak from the steering gear of my 1993 3.2 DOHC Trooper manual after an observation I found the valve housing assembly seal was leaking (number 4 in the following diagram)

Since here in Venezuela is very hard to find spares for my truck I can not get the whole seal kit and I would like to know if somebody knows the size and how to take this seal out in order to replace it

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 95 trooper and I think mine is leaking in the same spot. If you want I can check the dealer and send it to you .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awenson :lol: any help is always welcome by now I am in the process of blowing off the seal but it is wining the game by now, after the first round and 100 psi a cork in the inlet port and some tricks to holding the air the seals still there, tomorrow the second round will see.
By the way your son looks pretty strong in that picture of yours 8)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ratrooper:
I have been inside the steering gearbox of my first gen troopers several times. They look very similar to the one you have pictured. Blowing the seal out with air is next to imposable a hydraulic pump would work better.

I always had to remove the gearbox from the truck and I have a 1-½ ton truck pitman arm puller to do the job.

Here is a link to the rebuild.
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=91

RockAuto shows the rebuild kit part numbers for the 93 and first gen troopers to be the same.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

If you roll the worm gear all the way to the end you can see a nut on the underside of the seal housing. If you have or can make a 2-pin spanner wrench you can remove the nut that will remove the seal housing from the worm gear assy. This will allow you to punch the seal out from the rear in the normal manner. It will also eliminate the possibility of damaging the shaft seal area.

This is where I got lazy and never got around to building or buying a spanner for the nut. I broke down and paid the local auto parts store $350 for a lifetime guaranteed gearbox and replaced the leaker. The new rebuilt unit also leaked but was guaranteed (I wonder if the rebuilder used a spanner wrench). Replaced unit now has 5 years on it and am using a synthetic automatic transmission fluid in it with no problems. My steering gearboxes had more then 200K miles on them and I have on original one not leaking at 295K miles.
Some people report good results using a stop leak additive such as Lucas.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 9&loc=show

I have never tried it.

Good Luck and thank you

John still in Marysville.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine was leaking really bad until I used the Lucas . Now it only leaks a little. Not enough to replace the steering box. I'll keep adding the Lucas and I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much John
As you said blowing the seal out was impossible for me, I can manage my self to take the seal out but I would like to know the seal size before, in order to get it prior to destroy it in the process, because by now is leaking but if I broke it I will be unable to use it in anyway.
Somebody has the numbers (size in mm) of this seal??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts