Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually in my sig I will put that its for a 92 rodeo :oops: . Anyways, my gear box is leaking like an old faucet. Should I buy a rebuild kit or just replace it? My steering is a little loose, but that could be a million things... also, would I need any specialty tool to rebuild or replace it? I'm assuming nothing special to replace it, but maybe a press to rebuild it?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Why not just seal the leak?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By rebuild I meant buy the seal kit and fix the leak... 50 for the seal kit or 180 to send it out and have it rebuilt or 270 to replace it with a new one.

The steering is kind of sloppy as is, and with 190k miles I was thinking I may as well replace it rather than gamble with a seal kit. Should I open it up and inspect it before I replace/repair it? And what would I be looking for? First time dealing with power steeringproblems, not sure what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You would want to see how much of a groove the shaft seal has made on both input and output. With it still in the vehicle have someone steer it back and forth just enough to note if the output shaft bobbles at all. If it walks side to side at all, then it's in bad shape. There's usually a needle bearing taking the thrust of the pitman arm. The top cap is a bronze bushing. Funny thing back when I built my 91 amigo (sas) I moved the box and noticed the input leaking. I had to subject it to a little heat from welding the mounts. Not alot, but I was concerned it would excelerate the wear. In turn it stopped and I used that box the remainder of it's life. You could get thrifty and look for a nice clean used one at a jy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts