Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im running a sas'd 90 trooper with a dana 44 front axle 35" tires..
What steering damper setup would be good to reduce at least some bump steer?
I found a pro comp duel damper (2 dampers), would that be over kill? Do I only need one damper? Ive read the unless im running 38's or higher I wouldnt need a duel damper setup cause it would strain my power steering componets.. I really dont know lol

The single damper is a skyjacker 7900.. Any good?

I dont like the wandering and "bump steer" if thats even the correct term.. But I litterly get warn out driveing this trooper trying to keep it strait lol

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Use whatever you want that fits, there won't be enough resistance to bother your steering.
I have used a damper on my LUV w/31's for 30+ years, not so much for smoother steering but to eliminate "death wobble"- driving along at moderate speed you hit a slight bump with one front tire, suddenly the steering start shaking violently back and forth & won't stop until you slam on the brakes and nearly stop. It's just something that happens as straight axle steering components wear, bigger tires make it worse & happen more often, a good steering damper or two usually eliminates it until the damper wears. Buy the right type and you keep re-using the mounting hardware & only replace the hydraulic portion.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I only use a single damper on my 6000lb Dodge Powerwagon with a Dana 60 front. Double was too much.

You're trying to band-aid a bigger problem. Something isn't right with your SAS. You shouldn't get worn out just trying to drive it. Your steering angles are wrong. That's what causes bump steer. Linkages not following the axle. All the steering damper in the world won't control a bad geometry.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Bump steer will not be fixed with a damper only hidden. The cause of bump steer is the angle of the draglink from the box to the knuckle. The best way to combat this is to first reduce the angle by using a high steer kit and a drop pitman arm. Then use a panhard bar that is on the same angle as the draglink. This will eliminate any bump steer in the wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate to ask but, would anyone have a picture of a good set up? I mean I no every truck is different but im losing my mind worring if what I buy isnt going to work well... Right now, my setup is the tie rod bar with the draglink close but not fully on the passenger side.. for the life of me I cant remember the name of this setup or what I was searching for when I came across that link that explain different types...

I know what a high steer setup is and in order to do it ima have to find flat top knuckles.. Guess thats a good place to start if any

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually never mind on the picture... Google has been a great friend :)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
How about pics of your set up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol thats why I said never mind.. Im on my way home.. Will have them up in a few :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree.. Put it this way everything on this truck is pretty much nickled and dimed.. My front shocks are welded on.. Lol

I was just hoping maybe the damper would help, but I been researching it since before I posted this thread and I think my best bet would be just rebuilding the whole thing.. Shocks, leafs, bushings, geez even the motor lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Wow those shackles look like a death sentence too.
x2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to get a set of the short shackles to replace thoughs..

Also my uncle told me i need a better set of leafs up front, ones that atleast curve cause the flat ones on there now arnt doing any good... Anyone agree? Id think with more of a curve it would absorb more of the rough roads here insted of the front end like dipping down so much of the smallest bumps

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Man where do I start. Please take this as help and constructive criticism and not coming down on you. Much of the work is hard to see in the pics but you have bigger issues than flat springs. Your mounting points for most everything are downright wimpy. I can't really even tell what the top of your shackles are mounted to. Is that just a small tube welded to the frame. You need a real bracket with some gussets. Then you can use some shorter shackles. If the mounts are right then flat springs will work just fine. Flat springs ride nice in the right situation. Most modern pick ups use them.

Not sure where your axle came from but yo need to go back and look at the truck it came off of or something similar. The idea is to copy that design as much as possible to get the whole front end geometry as close to stock as possible.

Your shocks might as well be in the trunk for all the good the do mounted like that. Looks like the are just jumping around in the brackets.

The z shaped steering link I can only see part of and that plain scares me. #1 rule. No bent shaped parts in the steering linkage. Keep all the rods straight just like the factories do. You need to find a better pitman arm or remount that whole set up in my opinion. The whole steering system needs to be flat and level. That's what keeps it from bump steering.

Climb under some trucks with factory straight axles and takes lots of pics and study them. Mounting points, steering linkage, shock mounts.

I commend you for trying. But please be safe. It's not just you on the roads but other people as well. Stick with tried and true methods if you drive on the street. There are lot's of these done you can copy. I just don't want you or anybody else hurt.

I'm sure with a bit more work and some re engineering it will work ok. But both ends of the springs need to be level and mounted securely in strong brackets. The caster angle (line through the ball joints from the side) is critical. It needs to be close to stock. Start with getting the springs mounted well and them move on to the shocks and steering.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I with you man.. I too dont want to get hurt (or my family) or anyone else on the road my main problem is, I didnt do this swap witch is what brings me here for questions and research.. I can clearly see its not right, also driving it u can feel it.. Im about to set her up on blocks and pull the whole front off and rebuld it all, cause I only wanted this trooper cause its an suv and I wanted to spend more time with the family on weekends camping, hiking, 4-wheeling and so on..
But I almost rolled it today at 45mph cause the steering and ive never been so scared.. So it will now sit in my driveway, untill I can get a clear understanding and money to rebuild it... But tear down is free lol
But id like to thank everyone for the help and ima cut this stort cause ima dig around in the build threads :p

Edit* and im am under everyones truck here in town looking at setups and even asking questions.. Im determend that it can be done right.. Just gotta read some more, view pictures and save.. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts