Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 amigo v6 will only start in neutral. alarm has been acting up also and going off on its own. I heard a relay spazing out near the fuse box turns out the rest tailgate pin switch was bad contact and kicking on the dome light periodiclly. Now. We are having a no start issue.. wierd.. neutral only.. don't know if the problems are related.. need sugestions. Neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The Park/Neutral "safety" switch is part of the transmission Range Mode Switch, which is functionally 6 switches in a single package. It permits the starter motor solenoid relay to be energized only in Park or Neutral. The switch may need cleaning.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do access the neutral safety switch..? To clean it?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the starter relay located and the neutral safety switch??. I have a feeling its a aftermarket alarm issue. Also.. when it doesn't start, and I have to start it in neutral it does start up. But the tranny bangs all the gears.. I shut it off and disconnect the negitive on yhe battery and wait 5 mins. Re connect and it starts in park and.. shifts smooth.. its almost like my tranny is saying " you can't fool me beeatchh.. very wierd.. need to fix..

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
If the Range Mode Switch is dirty or not adjusted properly the transmission will not shift properly. Since the "Neutral "safety" switch is part of this assembly the problems are related. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1707
The relay is in the engine compartment fuse and relay box

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I don't know what the switch on the 4L30 looks like as I haven't had to pull it off (yet!)

anyway, here's the switch on the Aisin

here's the dirt contacts inside

and here' s the cleaned contacts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Like I said, I'm not familiar with the switch in the 4L30E, but the Aisin is easy. Pull it off, take the screws out that hold the switch together, disassemble, degrease, clean the contacts with some emory cloth or light sand paper, apply some new dielectric grease, reassemble and re-install. If the switch on the 4L30E is similar to the Aisin, be VERY careful when cleaning this part:

This is the part that moves with the gear selector. Those little blades sticking out are spring loaded. When you first pull it apart, they may be stuck down in the arm but when you clean it, they will spring back up and they WILL come out. they are impossible to find if you drop them in the grass, That i know for a fact1 Thank goodness I had a parts trooper at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts